switch removal

tomcat_prowlerDecember 21, 2005

How do you remove the turn signal,wiper switch from a 1987 chevy pickup?I thought it just pushed in and turned to pull it out of the steering column.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bucky

Nope: You have to remove the steering wheel to get into the steering column and go from there.

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 5:41PM
tomcat_prowler

Are you sure?Cause someone stole mine and I got a parts truck I can take another out of. There is no wires to it.It inserts into the plastic switch. I am talking about the lever that has the wipers and high beems when you pull back on it.They didn't take my steering wheel off to take it.

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 8:27PM
gary__

The lever can be removed as you say, but not the switch. I believe you twist the lever about 1/4 turn counter clockwise then pull it out. If it has wires attached, they are for cruise control if the vehicle is so equiped.

If you really need to remove either the turn signal or wiper switch...two different things operated from the same lever, you have to remove the steering wheel.

What are we trying to do? Sounds like you just want to install the lever.

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 10:12PM
keith35

To replace the wiper switch (not just the lever) on that year GM you have to remove the steering wheel, lock plate and turn signal switch. If you have the right tools, its about an hours job.

Bookmark   December 22, 2005 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
rotor problems
I think I just got "taken for a ride" by...
jill1273
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™