Paint/stain vanity?

KS_ChicagoMarch 8, 2014

Hello. I have a pretty nice master bath with a vanity that the original owner paid a lot if money for. It is all high end with soft closing doors, but... I absolutely dislike the light wood color of it. Everything else in the house is walnut including the floors and vanities in other bathrooms. Is there a way for me to paint or stain the vanity without making it look cheap? I would either want it to be dark wood/walnut color or I might also consider painting it light grey or white to get to that spa look... In any case, is that doable? I do not want to replace it given that it is a pretty expensive piece and I am not willing to pay anywhere near its price to replace it.

BTW, if you guys have any pictures of painted cabinets, please post them - I need some help with finalizing colors if this whole thing is doable.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

IF you decide to paint them, it is most likely that all you will have to do is sand them lightly first, then prime and paint. Easy. peasy.

IF you decide to stain them, it is most likely that you will have to remove all the finish and take them down to bare wood to apply the stain. Messy and stinky.

-Babka

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 5:30PM
southofsa

Do you know what kind of wood it's made of? Maple, lightly stained oak, birch? They all finish a little differently. But I agree- in general painting is usually easier.

Lisa

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 6:52PM
nosoccermom

If you use gel stain from General Finishes, maybe Antique Walnut, it is more than likely that sanding is not required. Gel stain is more like a paint and thus will cover some of the grfain; however, it can be used without primer. Google for more information.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
encaustic tile install?
I've fallen in love with these tiles but am completely...
daisychain01
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™