Airbag Light Flashing? - 99 Toyota Pickup

seaninseattleDecember 24, 2007

Hey all, I need some help. I've got a 99 toyota pickup ext'd cab, and its got a flashing airbag light. I have no idea what that means, and I need to know for safety reasons. Specifically I need to understand whether or not its safely drivable from now until 12/26 when I can bring it into a local shop. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

Many airbag systems still flash the warning lamp in a sequence that gives the operator the associated trouble code. So look for a pause, then count the flashes. A two digit code may have a long pause, one or more flashes, a short pause and another set of flashes.

It can be "assumed" that if the warning lamp is flashing the airbag might not work in the event of a crash.

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 9:38AM
seaninseattle

Yeah, after reading posts about this issue with other makes / models of cars, I tried to count the pauses and such... but there is not an apparent pattern to them.

I called the dealership, and they said that they would charge me ~$200.00 just to plug into my car and check the diagnostic system. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about the rep trying to sell me on that.

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 12:51PM
john_g

"Just plugging in" really isn't exactly accurate. Sure that's the first step, connect the scan tool to pull the codes. Then the next step of the diagnostics depends on the code that is setting, and where the component is located at and where the wiring harness for it runs. It would appear that you have been quoted a complete diagnostic fee. While diagnostic fees are far from being standardized, keep in mind that the number of shops that actualy have full functioning, and that means O.E. (factory) scan tools are very few outside of the dealer network, especially when it comes to a Toyota. Many aftermarket tools will have some access with your airbag system, but could easily be very limited access. While an O.E. tool will give the technician full diagnostic capability, the aftermarket tool may allow access to the trouble codes, and probably be able to clear the codes, but it may not have scanned data which might truly be necessary to avoid risking having to do any guessing during the diagnostics.

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 3:55PM
butlersdog

If I may add up something here, a good thing that you would check in this one would benefit it in a long run. If a maintenance can be a good option, you would be able to really make things work out and know why it's light is flashing rather than having no idea at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: car diagnostic

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™