Does Anyone Know Where....

bulldinkieDecember 2, 2005

In South central Pa does one take old antifreeze Is there someone that would take it?

He has about 15 gallons to dispose of.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

Almost any recycling center can handle it.

At the same time, most local shops and even parts stores have ways of handling coolant for recycling. Just call them. Most will take it for a small fee (It costs them to have the recycling company to come and get it)

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 12:21PM
jemdandy

Call your village or town hall. Some communities offer oil and antifreeze collection tanks.

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 1:36AM
earthworm

Autozone will not accept old anti-freeze and if a man is foolish enough to mix the old fluids, this will not be accepted either..They use a device to sense the anti-freeze...Now I have a friend of a friend who uses the old oil to heat his garage.
Hopefully the spent antifreeze can be re-refined.

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 9:04AM
john_

Check with your local city and county government. They have an interest in how these materials are handled, and thus should be able to help.

Bookmark   December 4, 2005 at 12:23AM
dave_mn

I was told it can be dumped down city sewer. Do NOT dump it in a septic tank or storm sewer.

Bookmark   December 15, 2005 at 8:02PM
jemdandy

Do not dump antifreeze, or any other stuff with unknown effect, into a sanitation sewer without first checking with the sanitation department about its acceptability.

Antifreeze may foul a treatment plant by killing the digester microbes. The same goes for spent photo processing chemicals.

Bookmark   December 16, 2005 at 12:39AM
carcrazy520

In South central Pa does one take old antifreeze Is there someone that would take it?
He has about 15 gallons to dispose of.

~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Posted by: earthworm
Autozone will not accept old anti-freeze and if a man is foolish enough to mix the old fluids, this will not be accepted either.

~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~

I don't understand your reply, Earthworm. I didn't see anything regarding Autozone, am I missing part of the original posting ?

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 12:23PM
bulldinkie

Its not mixed its from construction equipment.Hed like to take it and dispose of it correctly but no one seems to want it..

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 3:42PM
carcrazy520

Bulldinkie-
I have taken mine to A Garage close to my home. The last time I went, about a year ago, I took almost 10 Gallons and the owner only charged me $5.00 . Let me know what you find out.

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 5:46PM
earthworm

Carcrazy, I know of no place that accepts anti-freeze, including Autozone, maybe some others do...
I have other ways of handling this problem...
And I am too cheap to pay someone else to remove or accept the "spent" coolant ; my bill for trash removal is high enough..
There are other innovative ways that can be employed..

BMY used to give the "used once" antifreeze to its employees, but then some decided to steal the new anti-freeze and waltz thru the gate..
That put an end to that ,IMO, generous program...

Bookmark   December 22, 2005 at 1:59PM
jemdandy

Bulldinke:

Have you checked with your local government? A simple phone call will do. I my state, many municipalities have collection tanks for spent antifreeze and engine oil, often at no extra charge - because this is already covered by taxes and trash collection fees.

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 5:19PM
bob_k

Try this. I don't know where you live so I couldn't test it.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/wm_apps/RecyclingLocations/

Bookmark   December 24, 2005 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™