bcm replace

joe_mnDecember 17, 2012

03 saturn vue. does not have keyless entry. found another 03 vue with keyless. been told the bcm controls keyless as there is the keyless hardware in bcm that differs from non-keyless cars. so, can i swap bcm's and go? i assume i need to have bcm reprogrammed. not sure why if car has same motor and trans? i think perhaps it is due to security issues? you can remove battery in car and replace it and car works fine. so why is swapping bcm from 1 car to another so complicated? said, tongue in cheek.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fastmav347

Each BCM is programmed directly to the car with vin that is not able to changed once installed, I highly advise against using used bcm in that specific vehicle. BCM's are different between engine/transmissions. You will also need a Tech 2 (gm's scan tool) to properly program the new bcm. I used to work at saturn as a tech when they still had dealers and I used to replace atleast 1 bcm a week. Had a few instances where sears or similar shop tried to install a used bcm and couldn't get it to work right and ended up costing customer more. BCM is not cheap around 400 bucks new plus dealership will usually ask around an hour labor to install and reflash the unit.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™