Sparks from the heating coil element on the electric stovetop.
I replaced the burner infinite switch (from Sears) on my Kenmore electric stovetop two months ago since turning it on was not heating the coil (the red power light would not come on). But after that, everything was working fine. We have been cooking on that heating coil element since then, but yesterday while my wife was cooking using a non-stick pan, suddenly sparks started coming out of the heating coil element. My wife quickly turned off the burner switch and the sparks stopped.
When I inspected the hetaing coil element, I could see severe damage and there was melted metal on the floor where the sparks touched the floor. Even the bottom of the non-stick pan was damaged. I removed the heating coil element and haven't used it. Two things to note:
1. The burner socket for that particular heating coil element was replaced by the earlier seller. I know that because I can see the new socket connected to the old wires using connectors.
2. The other three heating coil elements work fine which is what we are using for our cooking.
Please tell me what's going on. Did I wire the infinte switch incorrectly, but then why am I seeing the problem after two months? Is the entire electric stovetop unsafe for use?