Jenn-Air slide in range -racks will flip down

ollie24018March 19, 2013

We have a Jenn-Air slide in electric range that was purchased in Dec. 2012. My wife was almost burned when the casserole dish tried to slide off the oven rack as she was pulling out the rack to check on the dish.
The design of the rack is that once you start to pull it out it will flip down approx. 3/4 to an inch. Once pulled all the way out to the stop it will become rigid. This action of flipping/falling can/has caused a dish to slide to the front and try to slide right off the rack.
Not sure how to resolve this issue. A call to Jenn-Air customer support resulted in a call back saying " yes that is the way they are designed. We just checked one here and it was the same". End of conversation!
It is the same for all 3 racks/5 positions.Obviously if we would have noticed this dangerous situation in the store we would have never purchased.
Any recommendations?

Aside to all this ... the front right triple burner will not stay energized so repair man reviewed and ordering parts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

picture please?

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barryv_gw

I am not familiar with that range or its racks. Would it help to put something at the front of the rack to keep things from sliding off. I have never seen one in person, but I know there are guards that you can put on the front of a rack to keep from burning your hands- maybe that would help. Amazon sells different types of guards. I put a link below with some good photos of one of the guards. Another option is to make a wooden hook that you can use to move the racks in and out without touching them. I know these won't solve the rack tilting problem, but might make it less dangerous.

Here is a link that might be useful: cool touch rack guard

This post was edited by Barryv on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 7:40

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
New KitchenAid launch in April 2015
Hi, everyone. Sorry if this has already been discussed....
kiwigem
Gaggenau or Miele combi steam oven?
We are renovating our kitchen and are planning on a...
Treblemaker
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
When should a boiler-warranty start?
We have a dispute with the company, that installed...
doofus
miele dishwasher gold substance explosion
i had a new water heater installed this morning and...
abenyjones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™