anybody trying the acetone thing?

plaidthumbNovember 9, 2005

This seems to be a popular topic these days, but everything I've found originates from one web site, or is attributed back to that site. Does anyone know of any independent corroboration of this deal? 3 oz. of acetone to 10 gal. gas = 3 to 4 MPG increase?

Sounds too simple/too good to be true, but I haven't found the "gotcha" in it yet...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

Non-scientific testing - some increases,some decreases.
IMO, too risky, however tempting..
To save fuel, drive a more practical vehicle with a Diesel engine.

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 12:27AM
ken_in_kc

My co-worker tried it in his VW GTI. We're both chemists in the petroleum industry and didn't see how it would work, but one web site seemed to have a lot of good information and data.

Bottom line is we concluded you can't separate the human effect. When he added acetone, he found himself driving a little more carefully. He did see a slight improvement, but again he felt he was probably driving easier. If it does help, it's very, very slight. Not worth the cost of the acetone and effort.

Ken

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 9:41AM
jemdandy

I wouldn't take a chance on acetone in the fuel tank until I knew a lot more about its effects on the various elastomer and plastic parts in the fuel system. Acetone is a very active solvent (think of m'lady's nail polish.) If it produced a benefit, it likely cleaned the injectors (provided these needed cleaning). If the injectors were already clean, there'd be no change, but there may be potential damage to parts in the fuel system.

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 11:51PM
john_

I heard of a guy that was trying it on a fleet of vehicles, and saw no consistant change to mileage pro or con.

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™