water pump for 87 olds ciera

vacuumfreakNovember 30, 2006

Hey there. I have an 87 Olds Ciera and the water pump is leaking badly. I don't have a lot of money, just wondering how big if a deal it would be for me to buy the pump and put it in myself... it's the 4 cylinder... please let me know what you think.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

I don't have a repair manual for your car, but if it is built like the earlier GM X-models, its not a big deal. The secret lies in knowing how to gain access to the pump. Look in the right wheel well. Does it have a removable flap, or one that can be pushed out of the way? If so, the procedure is to jack up the right front wheel and support the auto on something very reliable such as a jack stand. Remove the wheel and flap to gain access to the pump. Otherwise, its nealy impossible to change it, but is easy through the fender well.

Don't forget to break loose the wheel lug nuts before completely removing the vehicle load off the wheel. Start the jacking process, but leave enough load on the wheel to keep it from turning while breaking loose the lug nuts.

CAUTION: Before jacking, make sure that you secure the vehicle from rolling. Never depend on the parking pawl in the transaxle, and since this is a front drive vehicle, the parking pawl will be ineffecitve once one of the front wheels leaves the ground because the differential will allow the other wheel to roll.

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 11:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
markyoung

I have seen some repair manual for Water Pump Housing for ciera but i don't know if that actually applies to a pump as well. There are lots of PDF files for that available on the net.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Radio antenna badly bent at car wash
I know this is going to sound really stupid but what...
africanboy
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™