Gear shift knob removal

timbulbNovember 27, 2005

I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the gear shift knob on my '02 Mazda truck (Ford Ranger).

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm
    Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 10:32PM
timbulb

No that didn't help.

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 8:50PM
john_g

The gear shifter (Manual transmission) is held in place by a special bolt with a wedge designed in the middle and threads at both ends. You simply lift the rubber boot from the floor exposing the top of the transmission where the shifter stub enters the cab, and you will see the bolt going through with the nut on the passengers side of the shift lever.

Take the nut off, and put it on the other side and tighten it and it will pull the wedge out of engagement and release the shift lever.

Now if your talking about the knob at the top of the shifter, be advised you will ruin it by pulling it off.
They are a very tight fit, and once you manage to get it off of the shifter it will never again fit properlly and the only way you wont be dealing with it coming loose in your hand will be to replace it. It's easiest to remove a good knob by first removing the shift lever from the truck as described above.

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Running rich?
01 Taurus, Vulcan motor.owned for 4 months. Ran ok...
stoveguyy
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™