insulated toilet tank?

sallyjavalonMarch 9, 2010

Under what conditions would an insulated tank be recommended over a non-insulated tank?

Sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Think summertime. Sitting outdoors on a hot humid day with a nice cold beverage. The cold beverage within the glass causes condensate to form on the outside of the glass. The condensate runs down the glass and puddles on the table top.

In your bathroom, toilets are typically filled from the cold water supply line. Cold water goes into the tank, chills the porcelain, and if the relative humidity in the house is high enough, condensate can form on the outside of the tank, run down the tank, and pool on the bathroom floor.

If you have air conditioning, running the AC dehumidifies a house, making condensate less likely to form on a toilet tank.

But a nutshell answer as to when an insulated tank would be recommended? If you have condensate forming on the toilet tank, then an insulated tank might be a good idea.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 1:13PM
sallyjavalon

Thank you!
Sally

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 2:11PM
mabeldingeldine_gw

I was at a plumbing showroom and the salesperson told me the new 1.28 gal toilets no longer have condensation issues because the amount of water entering the tank is so little it equalizes in temperature before condensate can form.

Is this true? I'd especially love to hear from Toto users, as I'm considering the Carlyle or Guinevere.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 8:55PM
gibby2015

The toilets at my weekend lake place seem to be plumbed to warm water. Is that an acceptable option or is an insulated tank better? We don't care much for AC so condensation on the toilet can be an issue here in the summer. I've been wondering what is the better solution for this?

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 8:57PM
mongoct

Gibby,

I did that at our lake house. We don't use AC there as we have the windows and doors open all the time, so I pulled a "T" off the hot water line and plumbed the toilet off that.

It's not that the toilet is getting "hot" water, it's just tepid. Essentially, it's just warm enough to not cause the tank to condense.

If I were to buy replacement toilets for that place I'd get insulated tanks. As to those tank "insulating kits", heck it was faster, less expensive, and more effective to just swap the plumbing from the cold line to the hot line.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
Toilet seat height
The other thread here asking about whats new in bathroom...
numbersjunkie
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™