Maintence of my car

BarbaraNY316November 17, 2007

OK..

I do the dip stick thing on the oil when the engine is off. I do the dip stick thing on the transmission when it is running. I check windshield washer and brake fluids and make it look like I know what the heck I am doing. I do take it in to change the oil as needed...usually 5,000 since hubby always used Mobil 1 synthetic and usually go to Walmart and they do all the stuff.

What about things like air filter...and water in the radiator...I think I check this but do I need to use antifreeze/coolent....I live in South Carolina and they sort of.....you know smile that smile that says I don't know what I'm talking about. Not easy being a women in a mans domain. HELP.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

For openers, if you don't know what the service guys at Wally World are doing, ask them.

Dig out your owner's manual. It will have recommended service intervals for all those things you're concerned about. Do what it says and you'll be fine.

jmo

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 9:07PM
mikie_gw

I usually just use Plain old water to bring coolant up to the full line, unless I'm replacing a good amount of fluid then i'll go buy a jug of antifreeze and drain it,,, Fill it here where it rarely freezes, with 50% each, anti freeze / water. Back of the anti freeze jug has a wealth of information, if you have a magnifying glass.

What make / model / year is the car ?

Bookmark   November 18, 2007 at 3:25AM
paparoseman

Get the radiator coolant changed if it has been at least three years since the last time it was done. I have seen a radiator that had weak coolant in it. The radiator needed replacement because of corrosion.

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 1:01AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

Air filter, power steering fluid, and tire pressure.

I was recently told that the max psi shown on the tire is not what I should be going by. Apparently those tires on different vehicles, take different amounts of pressure. I was told the right pressure was on a sticker on the inside edge of the drivers side door.

Sue

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 3:38AM
jemdandy

When you top off the coolant, its best to use an antifreeze-water mix even though you are in a warmer climate. If you add plain water, you will be diluting the mix.

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 4:12AM
bames

Barbarany, You need to tell hubby to take care of this car maintenance thing himself and you just go SHOPPING.........

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™