snow tires

victory_tea2085November 23, 2008

Thinking of putting a different brand of snow tire on the front of my wife's car. How important is it to stay with the same brand and tread on all four tires? Thanks much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

Tires of the same brand and model on all wheels will react in largely the same way at the limits of adhesion (the limit of traction, etc). Mixing brands and treads is an invitation to making the car's handling unstable (or at least uncertain) when you need the tires most, erasing most of the advantage of using them in the first place.

If budget is a major factor here, you're safer on four cheaper winter tires than you are mixing and matching pairs of more expensive tires.

And, though it's hard to tell from your post, mixing snow tires one one axle with "all-season" or "summer" tires on the other is one of the fastest ways I know to make the back end of your car the front end. Flat-out not recommended.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 7:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

If you live somewhere that you actually need winter tires and you have a front wheel drive car, you want the same tire all around. In my area where studded tires are an option, a tire store will not install them on the front only of a front wheel drive car. Less of an issue with non studded tires but I'd think the same principle would apply. jmo

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™