2006 RAV Oil Flickers

andrelaplume2November 29, 2011

We have a 2006 Toyota Rav 4 cylinder awd car with about 80K miles. Oil changes are performed at the dealer or by our local guy (been going to them for 15+ years). Oil changes are perfirmed every 3 months.

My wife claims to have seen the oil light flicker several times over the past 2 weeks. The oil looks clean and appears full. The car is covered under a 7/100K b2b warranty so we should get it looked at I suppose....just curious what the hack could cause that...I drove it a few times and noticed nothing...

Does the dealer charge to diagnose this if you have a warranty....and what can they even check if the light is not on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

There could be more than one thing that casues the oil light to flicker. The 2 main ones are a failing pressure sensor, or the oil pressure actually goes low.

To answer this question, the technican will attach a certified pressure gage to the system and look at the pressure at various RPMs. (A port may exist for a pressure gage, but in many cases, the sensor is removed and the pressure gage attached to its port.) This may uncover a fibbing pressure sensor.

This test does not take very long. I'd expect to pay at least 1/2 hr of shop time, or more if the diagnosis becomes more than something simple.

Depending on what the warranty covers, it may cover the replacement of a failed oil pressure sensor.

Oil pressure sensors can get ruined in very cold weather, say 0 deg F. On a cold start with stiff oil, the pressure against the sensor can be much greater than normal. Supposedly, the sensor has internal stops to protect the unit, but I've seen over-pressure deform internal parts and de-calibrate the unit. In severe cases, the diaphram cracks and the sensor begins to leak.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 2:53AM
andrelaplume2

thanks, weird thing is the temp has been in the 50's here in PA...weird for this time of year but not complaining....

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 10:21AM
jemdandy

The temperature in PA will drop before December is over - guaranteed.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 1:51AM
More Discussions
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Sponsored Products
MLRT24D5541 MaxLite 2x4 Eco-T LED Recessed Troffer 55 Watts 4100K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Notredame Wall Sconce by Maxim Lighting
$88.00 | Lumens
Congress Flat Pendant
Lightology
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Unbranded Sidewinder 54 in. Oil-Rubbed Bronze Cei
Home Depot
Candlelight 5-lt Island Chandelier
LBC Lighting
Tonelli | Livingstone Extension Table
YLiving.com
White Painted Glass 3-Light Scroll Track Fixture
$99.98 | Lamps Plus
Chalk Tablet
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
k b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™