1992 CHevy 1500 Rounning rough

fire-fighterNovember 18, 2009

I have a 1992 chevy 1500 4.3 engine. It was running great until last night. Started running rough and died out. Smelt like it was flooding it self and popped through TBI. Let it sit over night and stated fine this am. Let it run for about 5 minutes and purred like a kitten, then it started running real bad and could smell gas again. Now it wont start

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

It could be flooding, or it could be bad ignition. The cam position sensor may be intermittent. This problem requires a good set of diagnostics to sort out. Start by readng the trouble codes.

It is possible that the TBI injector is passing too much fuel. This can be caused by a leaking valve in the injector, or messed up control current/voltage to the injector valve.

Abnormally low vaccum can mess with the engine controller.

We need someone to chime in here who has some experience with this particular engine and year.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 3:02AM
jemdandy

Check the gas cap. It should have a one-way valve that admits air into the tank, but stop fumes from escaping. If this valve is missing (wrong cap) or plugged, a vaccum may develop in the tank especially in cooler weather.

A quick test: When the engine begins to falter, stop and loosen the cap. If this cures the problem, the cap is suspect. This won't work for engine controllers that have detection for loose caps.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 3:24AM
fire-fighter

I had unplugged the o2 sensor let it run for 5-7 minutes, balanced itself out, took it for a spin and it ran fine. Started it the next morning and wouldnt stay running but once I got going it ran fine. Went about 2 miles and ran rough again now its running real bad with the black smoke and gas fumes. Replaced everything to the left of TBI still running bad. Could the timing have jumped? Dies out when given gas...

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 11:52AM
bob_k

Is this a TBI unit or a CPI unit? If it is a CPI unit they are mounted in the valley of the engine. They Can also have a problem leaking causing a rich condition. Below is an example of a CPI unit.

http://www.injectorwhse.com/servlet/the-19823/CP101-%22Spider%22-Fuel-Injector/Detail

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 12:21AM
fire-fighter

Unit is a TBI going to get ECU unit inder dist cap tomorrow to see if thats the issue

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™