Vue timing

stoveguyyNovember 28, 2012

03 vue. 3.0 v6. Timing belt is due. I have done OHC belts before. But this motor requires u to set timing by adjusting idler pulley to tweak timing. They say u need special gauge/guide to check timing. Is this tweaking of timing fairly common on some newer cars? The Honda 3.5 motor does not require this timing adjustment. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

This link gives instructions for resetting/overriding the on-board engine controller (computer).

http://www.ehow.com/how_4520585_adjust-timing-saturn-vue.html

You will need a PC loaded with GM software, a pass through cable adaper, and a Tech 2 scan tool. Apparently, it is the ignition timing that is adjusted.

However, I do not understand why the engine would need re-timing if all that was done was to replace the timing belt with an exact copy. The reference link did say that re-timing was needed only in rare cases.

Other sites mentioned that older belts had timing marks and that these marks are omitted on newer belts. In that case, examine the current position of all sprockets and marks before taking the belt off. Make sketches. If you have a digital camera, take pictures. Take enough views to insure you have plenty of information to insure correct re-asssembly.

If the new belt does not have timing marks, you may wish to add these with a marker. Compare the new belt to the old one, count teeth, and tranfer marks.

If the job seems scary, take to a professional. I understand its a lot of work and you do not want to take a chance on smashing a piston into a valve. Special tools are used to hold the sprockets and crank in place while changing the belt.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply...
andyf
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Sponsored Products
Caskata Blue Arbor Oval Tray
$65.00 | FRONTGATE
Taupe Romantica Duvet Cover Set
$74.99 | zulily
Newport 5-pc. Square Outdoor Dining Set, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Gray Emily Wool Rug
$59.99 | zulily
Baseball Today Wall Art - PP-922
$73.99 | Hayneedle