Vue timing

stoveguyyNovember 28, 2012

03 vue. 3.0 v6. Timing belt is due. I have done OHC belts before. But this motor requires u to set timing by adjusting idler pulley to tweak timing. They say u need special gauge/guide to check timing. Is this tweaking of timing fairly common on some newer cars? The Honda 3.5 motor does not require this timing adjustment. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

This link gives instructions for resetting/overriding the on-board engine controller (computer).

http://www.ehow.com/how_4520585_adjust-timing-saturn-vue.html

You will need a PC loaded with GM software, a pass through cable adaper, and a Tech 2 scan tool. Apparently, it is the ignition timing that is adjusted.

However, I do not understand why the engine would need re-timing if all that was done was to replace the timing belt with an exact copy. The reference link did say that re-timing was needed only in rare cases.

Other sites mentioned that older belts had timing marks and that these marks are omitted on newer belts. In that case, examine the current position of all sprockets and marks before taking the belt off. Make sketches. If you have a digital camera, take pictures. Take enough views to insure you have plenty of information to insure correct re-asssembly.

If the new belt does not have timing marks, you may wish to add these with a marker. Compare the new belt to the old one, count teeth, and tranfer marks.

If the job seems scary, take to a professional. I understand its a lot of work and you do not want to take a chance on smashing a piston into a valve. Special tools are used to hold the sprockets and crank in place while changing the belt.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™