Thoughts - Wood tile in bath & real wood floors in adjoining area

piscesgirlMarch 22, 2014

We are in the planning stages of our hall bathroom. We are planning on calacatta gold marble on the walls and are leaning on wood tile for the floors. See our inspiration pictures later in the post.

My question is.... will wood tile floors in the hall bathroom look odd if we have real wood floors in our hallway. There is a door between them and I was thinking of putting a marble threshold to transition the change in flooring. The wood tile floors would be 6" wide planks and the hall flooring is 2" original oak planks. (although we are debating whether to refinish the oak floors or replace..so the size could change). The hall floors run a different direction than the hall tile would.

Also regarding color...I don't know if we should try and match the hall wood floors or go completely different. It is hard to even predict as we won't be refinishing or replacing the home's floors till another year...one project at a time :-)

I love to know everyone's thoughts.

The following are our inspiration pictures. These I believe are real wood floors, but since our hall bathroom has a tub/shower we think tile will work best.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chispa

We used wood look porcelain tile in our guest house which has an open staircase to a basement. The staircase treads and landing are oak and were stained to match the tile. Very seamless transition from one material to another and I don't think most people notice they are different.

My recommendation is that you either go totally different on the color or stain the wood to match the tile.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 2:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DreamingoftheUP

You've many options and I think they'd all look nice - it's more on what you prefer. You could try to match the two surfaces. You could use a threshold that matches the hall floor, you could use a threshold that matches the bathroom floor or you could use a marble threshold (same marble as in the bath). For these last three, you could try it out with cardboard thresholds and paint, just to get an idea, with the door open and closed.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Please can you help with bath vanity design issue?
My original bath layout has changed somewhat, due to...
happyallison
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Toilet seat height
The other thread here asking about whats new in bathroom...
numbersjunkie
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™