grout color for white subway tiles

brianadarnellMarch 7, 2011

Hi All,

I am doing white subway tiles in a bathroom with a faux marble floor. The designer at the tile place recommended white grout for both the shower (white subway tiles) and floor (faux marble 12x12 with very thin grout lines). What about gray grout? I've seen this done and like the look. What do you think? I'm envisioning major upkeep with the white grout.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisk327

I haven't done it yet, but my plan is a light gray grout. I googled a lot and searched forums and some people were noting that they used white and it was getting stained. not sure how true or isolated it is. but we're doing the light gray to hopefully fix this.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 5:24PM
pacific_flights

Hi Brian,

I just finished my subway tile shower/tub combo. In the beginning I just kind of assumed I would use white grout, especially since I was a first time tiler. I figured I would need all the help I could get in disguising any mistakes. Once the tile was set, I realized that I liked seeing the pattern, and didn't want to mask it with the white grout. So I returned the grout I had already purchased and order Laticrete Silver Shadow from Lowe's. I'm very happy I went with the silver.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:02PM
brianadarnell

Thank you for the responses. You both echoed my thoughts on the silver/gray tones. And, pacific flights- your shower is gorgeous!

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:06PM
anrol

Here is our gray................

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 11:20PM
chocolatebunny

We had white 4x4 ceramic tiles with white grout before in our bath. HATED them! You could never keep the grout clean! I vote for grey also.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 2:17PM
porkandham

I thought I wanted a silver/gray grout, but at the very last minute, I changed my mind and went with white. I'm happy with my decision.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 4:11PM
renov8r

We went with traditional white grout and it has not been a problem to keep it clean. It has been sealed and we wipe it down after our showers. It looks great in our black and white bathroom.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 10:23PM
pharaoh

another vote for white

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 1:27AM
catbuilder

If you use a quality grout, upkeep shouldn't be a problem. I had white grout on the walls as well as the floor in my last house, and never had a problem with it. I am not in any way a fastidious housekeeper, and we didn't even wipe down the walls after use. After 15 years the grout was still white.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 8:32AM
Billl

Testimonials aside, there is no doubt that white shows dirt/grime/whatever more than gray.

Beyond that, it is just a personal preference of what you want it to look like. Gray grout is a much more traditional choice than white. If you are going for a vintage look, that would be my choice. On the flip side, if you are going to more a more "clean line" modern style, then I'd go with white.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:22AM
billp1

You can get color samples from your tile dealer, contractor or go to the large box stores. They have a smaller selection.
Your tile installer can color your grout based on the samples you see.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 11:59AM
carrie_eileen

Also - consider your water. We did a renovation about three years ago in our recently purchased house, with white subways and white grout, and didn't realize our water has some rust in it. After putting in a water filtration system, we still have yellow-y grout where the water hits. It drives me insane.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 10:40AM
cat_mom

We used white grout with white tiles in all our bathrooms, since we prefer the look of the grout blending in with the tile. Would do it this way again, but I do think the grey grout looks very nice in the bathrooms posted above.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 10:51AM
mg70

we did white with the subway tiles in the shower. The white and white just makes it look so clean. It's been 1 year and we have not had trouble keeping it clean. We did grey with the carrera marble on the floor. That looks great too. see my pics

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:48PM
itltrot

I'm glad Brian asked this. I hadn't even thought about grout color yet. Love seeing all these examples.

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
Bathtub width - Kohler Archer?
I am looking for a bathtub that has a deeper soak (my...
lineterry
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™