2 snows or four?

victory_tea2085October 23, 2005

My wife has a 2005 Focus and recently talked to a salesman about snow tires. He advised she put snows all the way around, instead of just the 2 in the front. What do the members of this forum think about this? Is he just trying to sell another set of snows or will it really make a difference?

Paul F B

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akastj_northern_ca

AFAIK, he's correct. You're not supposed to mix tire types (Summer/Snow) on a vehicle...

TJ

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 7:54AM
steve_o

Four. I put two on my front-wheel-drive car one year to try and save a few bucks and managed to spin the car a couple of times that winter. Two snows in the front will leave the naturally-lighter rear end with little grip and it will come around, sometimes when you least expect it.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 10:00AM
windrunner

steve,

from what i gather, i would be best to leave 4 brand new m+s tires as is and not go to the added expense of purchasing two rims and snow tires...

here in the north, common practice is to purchase a set of winter tires, mount them on designated rims and use them only during the snow covered months...

wondering what others think...

cheers
windr

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 10:08AM
steve_o

I'm not much of a fan of "all-season" tires (the demands on them are so broad they're really not much good at anything), but I'll agree that four all-season tires will be more predictable and, in their own way, safer than putting on just two snow tires.

The best thing to do, though, is to buy four snow tires, mount them on their own rims (steel is fine and will look better after a while than alloy wheels), and switch every winter and spring. This also has the added benefits of letting you use true "summer" tires for the best performance (if that kind of thing matters to you) and extends the life of your tires because you're not using some of them for several months at a time.

FWIW, my snows are on by around Halloween and they come off sometime before Memorial Day. Around here, ice is a possibility at any time in between.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 11:19AM
gary__

Four. Tire stores in my area won't even install two snow tires on a front wheel drive car anymore.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 1:50PM
jemdandy

Way back in the good(?) old days, circa 1960s, when most cars were rear wheel driven, it was a common practice to put snow tires only on the rear wheels. However, in my experience, this sometimes affected handling. I've had cars that would develop "road wander" at highway speeds. These would not track a constant line and required continous steernig wheel correction to keep it in a lane. This was very tiresome on a trip of any length. I attributed this behavor to differences in sidewall and tread stiffenss in the side direction. Therefore, for best handling, use the same type of tire both front and rear.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 5:19AM
earthworm

Even if the consensus is snow/ice tires all around, there are places where it snows only several times per year.

What worked well for me was installing chains on the summer tires for those infrequent events.
The car at that time was a 60s Saab 93 - thus equipped this baby would go anywhere !

Here in SE PA, IMO, snow tires are a waste of time and money, UNLESS a man must drive to a necessary destination..

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 4:19PM
More Discussions
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Sponsored Products
Key Target - Bower
$65.00 | HORNE
Flos | Belvedere Spot Single F2 LED Outdoor Path Light
YLighting
Quorum International 6157-4-44 Rio Salado Sienna 4 Light Chandelier
Littman Bros Lighting
Texas 2x4 PARA Parabolic Lens Troffer, 32 Cell, 4 Lamp, 54W T5HO, Single Ballast
LBC Lighting
54" Casablanca Panama DC Snow White Energy Star Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Courtyard CY1502-3707 8' x 11'2" Red Rug
$312.67 | PlushRugs
Floor Lamps: Ion 86.2 in. Floor Lamp 50023
Home Depot
Vierti 1000W Incandescent/ Low Voltage Multi Location Dimmer
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™