Bleaching Oil / Cedar Shingle Stain

duffydawgFebruary 8, 2013

Live in Chicago area and we are building a house. Wife wants Cabot Bluestone. I want it a bit weathered look if not a slight bit grayer. Was wondering if anyone has added a bit of Cabot Bleaching Oil to the stain? How did it do? I was thinking 75% Caboth Bluestone and 25% Cabot Bleaching Oil. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Cabot's Bleaching Oil is their oil modified penetrating stain with a small amount of gray pigment and a mild bleaching agent that eventually turns the wood a silver color. White cedar naturally lightens in the sum but this gives it a head start.

If you want to make the Bleaching Oil darker or another shade of gray, you could add more pigment (ask a dealer to be sure this can be applied evenly) or use the more common method of mixing the Bleaching Oil with Cabot's Weathering Stain. I suspect the bleaching effect would be reduced but I guess it would still be noticeable.

I don't think mixing the Bleaching Oil with another Cabot Stain is recommended but you need to ask a Cabot dealer or contact the company.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with Dow's Thermawrap R5.0?
We are in the planning stages of building a home in...
mmdoh
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
is/has anyone built a frank betz home?
Just wondering... Which model? We are currently considering...
liptonjl
Savings - basement bar with laminate
Working on finding ways to get closer to our original...
Mini Soda
Floor Plan Review
Can anyone give some feedback on our floor plan? I...
kymberie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™