replacing the rear pinion oil seal

paddleOctober 24, 2006

I drive a 1996 chevy express, which has developed a leak in the rear diifferential. I believe the pinion oil seal has to be replaced, is this a big job?

thanx

jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

It shouldn't be a "big" job provided:
1. You have the proper tools
2. Can lift the rear up safely to gain good access.
3. If the seal can be installed without disturbing the pinion bearing.
4. If the seal can be intslled from the outside.

If all the above criteria can be met, then the procedure is to disconnect the rear u-joint, remove the u-joint half that is on the pinion shaft, remove the seal, and press in the new seal.

Probably, the pinion shaft needs cleaning before sliding the new seal in place, and the old seal will most likely be wrecked during removal since it may be poked and pried out.

Be sure to mark the u-joint before disassembly so that it can be reassemblied keeping its original orientation.

CAUTION:
Before attempting this job, consult a repair manual for your vehicle. The steps above are generic only. Your vehicle may have different parts and requirements.

This job gets much more tedious if you have to disturb the pinion bearing. Most of these are tapered roller bearings and the adjustment is critical on assembly else the pinion will not mesh properly with its gear. Some are adjusted with shims.

A new seal may not stop the leakage if the pinion shaft is pitted or scored under the seal lip.

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™