Clear coat peeling off

scarlett2001October 29, 2008

So how do I deal with this? Should I go to an auto paint place or the dealership? It's really bad, not a little patch but all over the roof. I can't paint over it, obviously.

Is there some way they can just get it all off without destroying the paint underneath? Or am I looking at a big operation? It's not new, but I still want to drive it a long time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

Any good body shop will do. How to proceed depends on the cause of the problem. That's where an experts eye comes in. You didn't say how old your vehicle is or the environment it's been in. What seems to happen in older cars that have been in the sun a lot, the sun shines through the clear coat and damages the color coat. The clear coat then becomes delaminated and flakes off. That's where the expert comes in. You may just have the paint flaking off the top today, but the hood and deck lid may be next up tomorrow. If the problem is only with the clear coat, it is possible to wet sand it and re-apply. Time is money and paint work always takes a lot of time.

The most cost effective way of dealing with it is to leave it alone and drive it. It won't be the best looking car on the block, but it surely won't be the only one with a flake away paint job either. If nice paint jobs were cost effective, everyone would have one. jmo

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Dying transmission question
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey that has served me well...
catherinet
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Sponsored Products
Harvard Court Bronze Four-Light Island Light
$293.00 | Bellacor
Miconos Floor Lamp by Artemide
$1,610.00 | Lumens
75W 12V T4 GY6.35 Halogen Clear Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$6.99 | Lumens
Maritime Collection 10" High Hanging Outdoor Light
Lamps Plus
George Kovacs | Cuff Link P1121 LED Flush Mount
$390.00 | YLighting
Progress Lighting Posts Beacon Collection Outdoor Stainless Steel Post Lantern
$89.00 | Home Depot
Palram Aquila 2050 Clear Polycarbonate/ Aluminum Awning
Overstock.com
Gorilla Playsets Frontier Supreme Wood Swing Set with Western Ginger Canopy Mult
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™