Jaguar Engine Won't Shut Off!

dadoesOctober 4, 2009

My neighbor has a 2000 Jaguar S-Type. The engine won't shut off. When he turns the key, car keeps running. There's a warning on the dashboard about "engine failsafe mode." He had some odd trouble over past months with the battery going dead, then TWO replacements also being bad (both confirmed and replaced by AutoZone). Apparently there's some other electrical problem happening, whether related to the previous battery issue or not.

The immediate problem is how to shut off the engine, which is running at this moment, car parked in his driveway. I believe he tried disconnecting a battery cable, no effect. Is there a fuse could be pulled? Surely it doesn't have to keep running until the gas tank is dry? He said there are three fuse boxes. Any suggestions welcome ASAP!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Crisis over. He found the right fuse now to kill the engine.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 7:13PM
john_g

If his normal means of having diagnostics and repairs performed includes AZ, the crisis is far from over. JMHO.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 9:04PM
dadoes

AZ is not the "normal." I'm aware that the car has been to Jaguar service several times. The dealer, however, is 1.5 hours away, one-way, so a routine battery replacement is reasonably obtained locally.

When the battery issue continued after the first replacement swap, I advised having the car checked for electrical problems ... but per what I was told, the last swap with AZ, the battery ~6 months old, was leaking acid, wouldn't take/hold a charge. Perhaps an electrical problem causing the battery to overheat? The car isn't driven much, he has a company truck. It may stay idle for 5 to 6 days at a stretch.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Warning:Quaker State Oil Filters
Better check your filters really close. I used to simply...
andyf
too much pressure in cooling system
I have a 95 sable that lost heat about a year ago....
anggi821
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Best of Times Patio Bars Jacksonville Jaguars All-Weather L-Shaped Patio Bar
Home Depot
Refrax Stainless Steel 13-Light Jaguar Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 32W x 8
Bellacor
Clara Clark Jaguar Print Rachel Blanket
Overstock.com
Jacksonville Jaguars Micro Raschel Throw
$19.99 | zulily
King Ombre Jaguar Sham with Fringe - PLATINUM (20X36)
$225.00 | Horchow
Refrax Stainless Steel 11-Light Jaguar Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 36.5W x
Bellacor
Viper Jaguar 80% Tungsten Soft Tip Darts - 21-2405-18
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Faux-Ostrich European Sham with Jaguar Cording - PLATINUM (26X26)
$165.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™