OK to Use Carb Cleaner on F.I. Engines?

mister_hOctober 18, 2005

I have a few bottles of STP and Gunk carb cleaners that I bought sometime ago but I don't have carb engines anymore. Is it OK to use them on F.I. engine with injectors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formulaross

Well, I have with no apparent ill results. They all are basically solvents of one type or another, so I don't see much of a problem using them.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 11:56AM
kalining

Why would you use carb cleaner on a F.i. engine ? F.I.
engines don't have carbs. You can pore the stuff in but you can kiss your O2 sensor good by if it has one. Sell your Carb cleaner at the next garage sale.

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 10:27PM
jerry_nj

I don't buy the O2 sensor death. O2 sensors go back to the 1980s when carbs and carb cleaner were common. I agree also with the first response, there's a lot clean besides the fuel injectors, most additives also remove water and carbon on valves,... no reason to throw it out, make good use of it, but not all at once. I use cleaner, sometimes a combined carb/injector (hey what's that about??) sold under the "Tech" barnd at WalMart about once every 5 refills. Some have said there are gasolines outthere that already have cleaner in it, such as Shell. I haven't seen Shell advertising this, but the subject did come up on the Tractor forum of the Garden family of forums. I take it at face value.

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
Running rich?
01 Taurus, Vulcan motor.owned for 4 months. Ran ok...
stoveguyy
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™