Pickup Bed Storage Box

casey_waOctober 29, 2005

We have a 2005 Ford Ranger with a 6 foot bed and a standard cab. There is not much room for behind the seat storage...acutally nearly none. We would like a secure/weather tight storage box to be placed in the rear bed.

We have looked at Weatherguard, Delta and others but can not find one that quite meets our needs. Would like a chest style that is no more than 17 inches tall, 47 inches long and 18 inches from front to back. Steel, alum or black...does not matter.

Would like to hear from others what has worked for them or not worked...and if they like what they have where did they get it from. A good price is always nice...

Thanks, Casey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GoodOleBoy

I got an 8ft bed and if I had a tool box I could hold anything without laying down the tailgate and tying it down. Now I dont own any tool box and suffer becuase of it also when I need to the dry storage. If I could afford it I would get something called "side boxes" that go over the wheel well saving you precious bed space esp. w/ a 6ft your going to be hurting to haul anything more than a box or groceries.

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 3:14AM
casey_wa

GoodOleBoy...I agree with you. Luckily we are not using the little Ranger for hauling a bunch of stuff. We have an Exolorer with a V8 for towing whatever and use a utility trailer for lumber, trash, gravel, beauty bark and the such. My commuter car is an 83 Civic. The Ranger is for our daughter (who is away at college). She is studying veterinary medicine with an emphasis on large animals so the Ranger is something she can use if she needs hay, grain or who-knows-what. Thus, having a spacious bed is not #1. Ruled out tonneau covers (hard or soft) and caps. Either too limiting on the size of what can go into the bed or too cumbersome in trying to load something heavy or large.

Since I am spending the money for college and the Ranger I am trying to keep some costs down and this is why I did not get her an F350 diesel with four-doors (would be nice). I have the honor of driving the Ranger around for awhile for a break-in period to work out any kinks before our daughter takes it back to college with her.

So not looking for anything fancy, but something strong, weather tight and not a cheap paperthin thing. Hoping that another set of eyes out there are seen something I might of missed.

Thank you, Casey

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 11:27AM
GoodOleBoy

Sears and a few farm stores in the area also truck specialty shops also sell what you are looking for.
You may want to try finding a ford ranger forum ont he net and ask there.I know on the chevy site I visit lots of people recomend brands of boxes etc..

Good Luck

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 12:34AM
casey_wa

Found a Ford website and it has been pretty good for information...they endorse the Weatherguard boxes, though they are a bit pricy. Just wanted to cover all my bases, might end up with the Weatherguard but wanted to make sure I was not missing something else. Thanks

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 11:08AM
don_socal

Greenlee and knaack make boxes that fit inside the bed. Have seen them at home depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: google for greenlee tool box

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 12:56AM
casey_wa

Thanks you all. I have ordered a Weatherguard box from a guy I know that gave me a little discount. After all the research that I have done, little is an understatement, I have learned that the Weatherguard is the best in this situation. Time will actually tell after it is installed and have used it for awhile.

Casey

Bookmark   November 16, 2005 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
1998 Dodge Caravan - Electrical Problems !?
Hi Folks, seems rather quite here, but I've got nothing...
vgkg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™