Buying a Geo Metro

shravanOctober 14, 2006

I am looking out for a car and the one that has caught my eye has the following specifications:

Model: 1995 Geo Metro

Transmission: Automatic

Engine: 4 Cylinder

Mileage: 122k

Upon speaking to the owner, I was told that the timing belt was replaced recently and there are no problems with the engine as such. Do let me know if there is anything to watch out for here and also if I should go ahead with this car.

Thanks

Awaiting replies

Shravan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_h

their tough little cars owned one several yrs, my sister in law now owns it. mostly problem free. its a suzuki, they have a rep as building great small cars. the 3 spd automatic isnt great, nothing wrong with it, but a 5spd manual would give better mpg. the car is its best as a in city commuter car, not great on the highway. all in all no compaints overall with mine, it now has 220k on it still going great.

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 8:31PM
jdbillp

Here is a recent review of the Geo Metro. It is from the excellent online magazine Windingroad.com

Here is a link that might be useful: WindingRoad.com Click here.

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 8:31AM
shravan

Thanks a lot for the follow up. Would that mean that doing 70mph or so for 2-4 hrs would hurt the engine? I do have to travel once in a while within Kansas, would that hurt the car too much?

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 1:41AM
steve_o

shravan, it should be fine. Most cars do not need to produce that much horsepower to keep a car moving once it's up to 70 mph (especially on a flat surface like Kansas). The better question is, would doing 70 mph or so for 2-4 hrs hurt the driver? With an automatic, a Metro can be pretty buzzy. It could get on your nerves after a couple of hours.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 8:20AM
jasperhobbs

Metros are great little cars but be sure and check underneath before you buy one. Control arms can rust and break, then car is pretty much done in.
Jasper

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
car alarm going off at odd times
We have a Hyundai that suddenly decided the entire...
Chickey Wingz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™