Check Engine Reader

ggalvOctober 3, 2009

Do you guys have any recommendations on a Good Check Engine Light Reader. I have limited mechanic knowledge but think that a reader would be handy when one of my cars at home gets the check engine light. Not looking for a professional but not a cheap one neither.

THANKS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

I've been using one made by Acton and it has worked for me. I realize that it is a simple minded affair and does not match a more sophisticated unit found in professional garages and dealerships. My model does not have provision for updating and that is a feature you may want.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 4:43AM
garymunson-2008

Go to www.OBDCOM.com. I purchased their unit a while back (it's since gone down in price!) and am thrilled with it. Works great and astounds even professional mechanics when they see it in action. Does everything they claim.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 5:09AM
makey

There's really no need for you to buy a code scanner. Most auto parts stores keep several on hand that they will either A. loan out to you for a deposit (you get it all back) or B. will pull the codes for you in the parking lot along with a complete description of what they mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: lax car service

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 6:14AM
More Discussions
rotor problems
I think I just got "taken for a ride" by...
jill1273
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
Lexus vs Toyota Avalon
OK guys, here is another one for you. (I apologize...
Lynne_SJO
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™