Rough Granite Accent in Shower - Gunky?

BelfastBoundMarch 28, 2014

I am in love with this trim and would like to use it inside a niche and as a horizontal trim around the shower about 6 feet up a 9 foot wall. One of the pieces is rough granite and I wonder if soap and shampoo lather will gunk it up. What do you think? This is a large 5x7 shower and we are used to squeegee-ing for 3 minutes after every shower.

Thanks in advance to all who give their time to reply.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5

After using the squeegee, you'll want to use a dry towel to pick up any remaining liquid.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:25AM
BelfastBound

That makes a lot of sense. I thought folks might have advised cleaning with a toothbrush once a week or painting a special sealer on just that one tile.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 5:30PM
cat_mom

We have a split-face travertine tile as a border in one of our bathrooms, in/on the tub surround. I sealed it before it was installed, and then again after it was installed and grouted. I clean the bathrooms pretty much weekly, sometimes pushing it out to 1 1/2-2 weeks if I have to. I spray 7th Gen Disinfecting Bathroom spray cleaner on the tub surround, let sit ~10 min, spray some more on a microfiber cloth, and wipe down the walls. I don't "scrub" the split-face, really no need to. No gunk, soap scum, or build-up. We wipe down our tub surrounds after showering, using a microfiber cloth. DH uses the bathroom with the split-face border; not sure if he wipes the border tile every time--it's high enough so it doesn't get much direct spray from the shower.

It still looks as good today as it did the day it was installed, almost 3 1/2 years ago.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 11:00PM
BelfastBound

Thanks cat_mom I will look for that spray. Do you use the microfiber cloth that is more like paper or one that is terry-towel like? I'm thinking paper because the the terry might get snagged in the split-face.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 10:49PM
cat_mom

The ones I use to clean the bathrooms are the orange automotive ones (came in a pack of ?) fromTarget--got them shortly after we did our kitchen (7 years ago). I had gotten different ones for the kitchen, so started using the unused orange ones for the bathrooms. They are (were) nice and thick, maybe sort of terry cloth-like? No snags.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:11AM
More Discussions
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Looking for Dupe to RH Nolan Sconce
Has anyone run across sconces that look similar to...
Jill Wood
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™