need a little advice on my diesel van.....

tina_2October 3, 2008

Hi - I have a full size diesel van - 1992 chevy. Well, today when I was starting it up, the key only went half turn in the ignition and I had to push hard to start up my van. It felt as though the ignition had a catch or rough area to go through. Then, the elec. locks, windows, air cond., and the speedometer would not work. Also, the brake light stayed on. Well, I didn't get far. It, was way to warm not to have the air and too scary what with the controls all messed up.

Can anyone, shed some light on this for me.

Thanks for your time. Please email me at -

purplegard4me@aol.com ...... tina_2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_g

With anything like this, its a bit of a guess to say exactly what has happened at this point. But I suspect "the rack" may have broken, or the gear that drives the rack at the inside end of the lock cylinder may have broken loose. Of course the problem could just as easily be the lock cylinder or the ignition switch, but regardless a tech will have to start disassembling the column to find out what has happened. The first step IMO would be to drop the column and remove the ignition switch. If that proves the fault is up inside the column, then the steering wheel will need pulled, and the turn signal switch taken out of the way so the lock cylinder can be removed. Once that is proven good, or bad, you will have your answer to whether the column will require further disassembly to the point of where the rack and gear can be serviced or not.

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Mercury Mountaineer electrical issue
Hi all hope someone can help...my 2002 mercury moutaineer....
ralmoy
Radio antenna badly bent at car wash
I know this is going to sound really stupid but what...
africanboy
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Power window goes down, but not up
The driver's side window on my 98 Chevy Venture would...
hardlyclever
Sponsored Products
Glomar Bathroom Lighting 1-Light Brushed Nickel Incandescent Wall Vanity HD-134
$35.99 | Home Depot
Madras Dyed Rug 10' x 14' - PURPLE
$8,399.00 | Horchow
Acura Left Sectional Chaise
bryght.com
s: 30 in. Dark CLI-LS494225
Home Depot
Spring Air Back Supporter Four Seasons Euro Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Se
Hayneedle
Thatcher Fabric Chaise Lounge - HS-SF-250-BGE
$569.99 | Hayneedle
Designer Chandeliers Bruce Black Eight-Light 27'' Wide Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Batman Decal Set
$9.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™