bio deisel vehicle info?

vstechOctober 11, 2005

I have read the greasecar page and a few others, and I think I can build a heat exchanger and storage tank to make a go of this bio deisel project, but any info you guys have would be great.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasonmi7

vstech; why? Not sure where you are; but you can get soy biodiesel from regular gas stations (well, some of them), here that don't require any modifications to the vehicle, and certainly don't require building your own still!

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 8:49PM
vstech

sure, not required, but I am adventurous and cheap, so 30c/gallon, or less is better than 2.50/gallon for biodeisel.
the webpages explain pretty well how to make it, and I have the supply of used veg oil to play with, so I may give it a try, but hey, any info would be taken here.
thanks,
John in NC

Bookmark   October 13, 2005 at 9:27PM
casey_wa

vstech...been thinking the same as you since my relative owns a restaurant and thus surplus gunky veg oil. Just watched a show the other evening on making bio D...figure if I can make great beer and wine I can make this stuff too, as long as I dont try to drink it!

Keep me posted what you learn and I will do likewise.

Casey

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 5:58PM
earthworm

vstech, try to keep some accurate detailed records on the cost of refining "waste grease" into a Diesel fuel..

All the naysayers shout out : but the costs of manufacturing still are too great, that veggie oil is really too expensive..

I totally disagree.
We are running out of cheap oil, but this can be replaced with bio-Diesel , much the same as the then cheap crude oil replaced whale oil nigh 150 years ago.. As far as energy goes, these are exciting times !

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 7:06PM
timbulb

If someone gets the veggie oil for free, how is that too expensive?

These would be exciting times if the government didn't have their hands so far in the pockets of the oil companies.

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 4:21AM
steve_o

If someone gets the veggie oil for free, how is that too expensive?

Your "raw material" may be free, but it still costs you to collect it, filter it, treat it to create biodiesel, store it, and pump it. You will have nowhere near the economy of scale of a larger producer. And, theoretically, your time is worth something, too.

Most folks will not be in a position to produce their own biodiesel. They'll roll up to a fuel pump just as they do now. Do not be surprised if, whatever alternative fuel becomes popular, the big oil companies have a lock on delivering it to you.

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L Fire
Hi All, My Honda Odyssey 2005 EX-L recently totaled...
mhs21
Blown tire on a dying car........
Well, in my other post I talked about how my transmission...
catherinet
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™