Type of trailer needed to transport a farm tractor?

mister_hOctober 5, 2006

I'm thinking of buying an old farm tractor - 50's Ford 8N or 9N. And I'm wondering how to transport the darn thing to my property which is about 150 miles away. Do you think U-Haul may have some kind of trailer to carry a such tractor? I have a V-8 Dakota (5500 lbs towing capacity) and I suupose I can rent a bigger truck if my Dakota is not enough. Does anyone have any experience on trailering a farm equipment like that? Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quirkyquercus

Have you tried an equpment rental place like sunbelt or nationsrent to see what they say/have?
One thing to keep in mind if you decide to try u-haul is they will ask you what you're going to tow with the car carrier. (Which I'm sure will work but it's like a pontoon boat, the inside is open to below) If you don't tell them it's a car in their database that is within the weight limits for what you're towing with, they won't rent to you no matter what.
For example, I went to u-haul to get car carrier (not tow dolly) so I could haul some small freight containers. They asked what I had and what I was towing. Knowing they'd say no if I told them about the containers, I made up a car off the top of my head... oh sorry that's over the limit for the car carrier. So I said, no... I'm towing a Mazda Miata. Then they didn't believe me and told me to scram. Hehehe.

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johndeere

The U-haul car carrier mentioned would work fine as long as the wheels on the 8N are set within the range of the ramps.Tandem axel of course.The weight of a 8N should be well within specs of that type trailer.

Bookmark   October 5, 2006 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™