Ignition switch

sagemouseOctober 10, 2007

91 Chev Caprice. Key is getting hard to turn. I want to repl the cylinder. Does anyone know the secret to removing the lock cylinder? Thanks in advance.....Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gary__

I'm going out on a limb and assume yours is like all the GM products I've ever worked on.

Before doing this, consider the possibility that the problem might also be with the switch located towards the bottom of the column, the rod that pushes on it (when you turn the key), or just a worn key.

I used to have a site bookmarked with these instructions including pictures. That one's gone but these instructions (link) are good. The last column I did was an '86 so it didn't have the air bag. These instructions tell how to do the whole column. You won't get that far into it so it's not near as bad as it seems. Special tools you'll need are a steering wheel puller, and a lock plate remover. Cheep ones good enough for you are available at Harbor Freight. Basically you'll disconnect the battery. Remove whatever is in front of the center of your steering wheel. Remove the clip and nut holding the steering wheel on. Remove the steering wheel using the puller. Compress the spring using the lock plate remover and remove the snap ring. Remove the tool, lock plate, horn button switch, and spring. You now may or may not be able to remove the lock cylinder at this point...don't remember. If you can see the cap screw that holds the lock cylinder in, remove it and the lock cylinder. If the turn signal switch is in the way, unplug the wires at the base of the steering column, remove the 4 screws that hold the turn signal switch in, and carefully pull it up enough to get to that cap screw I already mentioned. If your vehicle is equipped with VATS, you'll have to get a cylinder with the VATS number that matches your car. If so equipped, you'll have to unplug that plug at the base of the column too, tape something to the end of that wire to pull through the column as you remove the lock cylinder so you can easily pull the new wire back through the same path. Reverse that process to reassemble. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the difficulty level at about a 2 1/2 for this repair.

jmo

Here is a link that might be useful: gm steering column repair

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 11:22PM
coolvt

How about shooting some powdered graphite into the keyway to see if that helps? You can get a squeeze tube at any locksmith shop or in the key dept at HOme Depot...about $2.98

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 11:30PM
sagemouse

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I will try the graphite first.....Jim

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 11:37PM
sagemouse

Would the same instructions apply to a 2000 Chev 2500 pickup that does not have an airbag?.....Jim

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 11:56PM
gary__

I had another page bookmarked that still exists. Can't swear yours is exactly like this. GM has used this basic design from the 70's to this '92 pictured at least though. For the lock cylinder replacement, you just have to go down as far as step 17 if you decide that's what you need to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 9:55PM
sagemouse

Gary, Thanks for the pics.

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Car accelerating on its own
Hi! First time poster here and am sure hoping you can...
twinklenose
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Car
Need AWD Dodge Magnum RT
1stjfpintor
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™