Brake caliper sticking

zinc_manOctober 18, 2005

88 subaru loyal, brake caliper sticking and heating up engine and burning rotor up. I checked the rubber line and its not clogged.(front passenger side)Just put a new master cylinder on it a few weeks ago.When I hit the brakes the car doesn't pull though.But when I open the bleeder on the caliper and there is no one holding the brake down the fluid squirts out of it like they been partially pumped up prior to bleeding.I think its the caliper that is at fault but wanted to see if there was any other possible problems before I went and purchased a new one.Like I said,The line is all cleared from the master cylinder to the caliper even the rubber hose.I am unfamiliar with subarus but I would think the brake system are the same as chevy ford and dodge.There is no ABS system on it either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zinc_man

Sorry it's a 92 not an 88. Was thinking of my truck.

Bookmark   October 18, 2005 at 2:27PM
earthworm

On some cars there is an adjustment between the pedal and the cylinder.
There must be some free play, also the pedal must not be hanging or binding.
I see nothing wrong with the caliper as long as the piston moves properly.
The hydraulic flex lines can, with age(ten years plus), restrict , even control(more or less) the fluid flow..

Bookmark   October 18, 2005 at 3:41PM
ericwi

I think the flexible brake line is ballooning a bit, perhaps not enough to see, when the brake is applied and the brake line is pressurized. When you release the brake pedal, there is enough residual pressure in the system to maintain some pressure on the pads. The only solution is to replace the flexible brake hoses.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 10:47AM
john999

Sounds like the seal on the piston has blown out.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 1:25AM
earthworm

So, ZincMan, what was the outcome ?
I believe Eric is on the right track..

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 4:22PM
RCMJr

There NEEDS to be some residual pressure in the lines when the brakes are not applied . . . this keeps the seals tight against the bore; which prevents leakage. Even though the piston still moves; it does not mean that it moves freely enough . . . time will slowly accumulate gunk; and brake fluid by definition absorbs water from the air . . which can eventually accumulate and start rust / corrosion.

If the line is plugged; you'd not get decent braking out of that wheel. Besides; pressure in a closed system is the same everywhere . . .

I'd say it's new caliper time . . .

Bob

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 9:02AM
jesse_dupey_gmail_com

I have a 99 grand caravan . I replaced both front brakes an calipers . I bleed both sides . After a few days driving to n from work my passenger side began to smoke an turned my rotor a glowing red . I later found the rubber boot on the caliper burned of n found my rotor to be now cracked . I since have replaced both . But I am still having the same problem . The caliper is seezed against the rotor . I can not figure out why . Any advise?

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™