Replace headlight in 2005 Chevy Blazer

pandoraOctober 23, 2006

Could anyone please help me get started with this? I know this should be simple, but I can't even get the old one out.

Thanks in advance.

Pandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

Check your owner's manual, probably the bulb easily turns out from inside the engine bay.
Use a mirror and powerful light to see the set up....if necessary..

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 12:17AM
steve_o

If you have the owner's manual, there should be directions in there on how to get the old bulb out, as well as exactly which model of bulb you need to replace it with. You also can go to your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store), tell them you have an '05 Blazer, and they can look up which bulb you need.

Generally, you will have a bulb holder which either screws into or locks into the back of the headlight itself. It may be kinda tough to get in there unless you move something else a bit.

Two words of advice: 1) Don't touch the bulb! Oils from your skin (or grime from the engine, for that matter) will severely reduce the life of the bulb. And 2) Don't buy those stupid blue bulbs. They may look spiffy, but they don't provide as much usable light for you and they are harsh on the eyes of those who have to look at your headlights. I've had good experience with Sylvania's "extended range" or whatever bulbs. They're a strong, clear white.

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 8:55AM
sdello

another suggestion. Replace both headlights. If one goes chances are likely that the other is going to go shortly and bulbs are cheap enough.

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 1:52PM
steve_o

Good point. Replacing bulbs in pairs is so automatic with me I don't even think about it.

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 10:05AM
pandora

Thank you so much for all the good advice. I will go get the owner's manual right now. Yes, good point about replacing both. Looks like Sylvania it is. I should be able to get this done on Saturday. Glad I haven't gotten a ticket/warning yet. :)

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 9:38PM
reekola

I just replaced mine with Sylvania Silverstar (I believe). They're white, and a lot brighter than the old ones. MUCH better! As I get older, I need more light to see the road at night. Hope it doesn't bother other drivers too much, but it's more important for me to see the best I can to be safe. I've learned to not look right into the bright headlights of oncoming traffic. Cost me about $40 and took about 2 minutes to replace. I kept the one good one I had for a spare (in the trunk), in case of emergency replacement.

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
2004 Madza Tribute Catalytic converters
My daughters 2004 Tribute would not accelerate and...
good36
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Sponsored Products
SwissLux 'I' Flex Cal King-size Foundation and Frame-in-One Mattress Support Sys
Overstock.com
Replacement Glass Lid for GG91733
Classic Hostess
Elk Lighting Celina 1-Light Swingarm Sconce in Polished Chrome & Coco Glass
Beyond Stores
30" Rolling Duffel
$250.00 | Horchow
Retrospective Two Light LED Bath Fixture In Polished Chrome
$318.00 | Bellacor
Sunnydaze Round Steel Outdoor Fire Pit Wood Grate, 36 Inch Diameter
SerenityHealth
Mix Task Lamp by Luceplan