Car Buying Guides and Reviews

secsteveOctober 15, 2007

I'm wondering just how much stock people put in car buying guides and reviews.

A friend has been considering buying a 2007 Honda Civic or Accord and checked out KBB and Edmunds. Then she started reading the customer reviews and now is wondering if she should buy. Seems some of the reviews were very negative while others positive.

I told her basically the reviews were there to give her an idea and not to put so much stock in them. She's especially bothered by the negative ones (on both Civics and Accords). As with anything else, each person's experience will vary. My own experience with Honda's has always been positive and

Has anyone else paid attention to the customer reviews? I found when buying my 1997 Accord, they were helpful, but I didn't rely solely on them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

You have the right approach: use customer reviews as data points, not as gospel. The trouble is that unhappy customers are far more vocal than happy (or at least satisfied) customers. And computers make it easy for especially unhappy someones to cut-and-paste the same negative review into several different sites.

I'm also leery of reviews made after just a few days/weeks of ownership. That's not long enough to determine some important characteristics of a product.

OTOH, reading reviews from people who've spent a few years with a product and who have encountered similar problems certainly can be useful in figuring if there are more questions that should be asked or models/engines/etc. to be avoided.

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Mercury Mountaineer electrical issue
Hi all hope someone can help...my 2002 mercury moutaineer....
ralmoy
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
want to purchase new Car
Hi guys .i want to purchase new car but I am confused..need...
Bill Payday
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Sponsored Products
Cars Pull-Top 18-Oz. Bottle
$4.99 | zulily
Crimson Espresso with Simply Red Crate Cover - STDCRIM22
$90.11 | Hayneedle
Neptune | Jade Activ-Air/Whirlpool Combo Tub
$4,612.50 | YBath
CrystalPleat Blackout Shades. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Roll-out Pop-up Steel Trundle Twin Bed
Overstock.com
Benedict Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
National Public Seating 48 Inch Wide 3-Level Stage Pie w/ Hardboard Surface
Beyond Stores
Vincent Barrel Chair
Home Decorators Collection
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™