econoline-cadillac mix

beanybeanOctober 5, 2008

i bought a 1961 ford econoline pickup van that somebody installed a 1975 cadillac eldorado 500 cu in front wheel drive trans.in the rear of the truck .its stock but it runs 13 sec quartermile with a wheelie half waydown the track its fun to drive with all that power except turning it with both wheels pullin it wants to go straight any ideals on fixen this so i can drive on the street

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_h

you kinda lost me here, this truck has a eldo. front drive system mounted in the back, kinda like a rear drive transaxle setup? or is it front drive?

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 7:59PM
beanybean

thats right from the radiator to the engine and trans is mounted in the rear of the truck ,cant tell its in there from lookin at it the wheels fit in the rear fenders only cutting was in the bed of truck the exhaust is only 2-3 feet long its fun and fast the only problem is keeping the front wheels on the ground

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 2:52AM
bill_h

got ya. cab over pick up with a straight axle, all the power and weight in the rear. easy fix add a 100 pnds up front see if that helps and go from there, or firm up the rear suspension, while removing a leaf or two from the the front spring packs.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 6:47PM
jemdandy

You have a "Draggin' Wagon". Likely, the differential is locked or there is none. It is set up to go straight and nothing more. With a regular differential, this would be an absolutely dangerous machine when the front end goes light or lifts - It would serve from straight and at full throttle, can happen fast enough to roll the vehicle. At best, you might find yourself in a ditch. In my opinion, this vehicle with a regular differential is not recommended for public roads. There's too much danger of tangling with other vehicles.

If you want to drive this machine on the street - and turn corners- unlock the differential if there is one, or install a limited slip differential and add weight to the front to keep it down. I don't recall if a limited slip differential is available for a front drive transaxle

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 1:18AM
joe_mn

we had a early 60's corvair greenbriar van with a toronado setup in the rear. fun project. we modified the lower a-arms so the torsion bars went toward the front of the car vs the original setup where they went to the rear. we drove it only a few times and it wanted to go sideways. i cannot recall if it behaved the same with or without throttle. that was a long time ago. we had an open diff. not sure what i can add to this thread for input.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Cost to Replace Car Battery?
DH took our 2005 Jaguar X-Type into the dealer for...
chisue
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
rotor problems
I think I just got "taken for a ride" by...
jill1273
99' Blazer won't start when it's cold!
I would love to talk to John_G. I read some responses...
fastedy
Hey All
This Is Sophie.I Am New To This Forum.
sophie18
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™