Hand woven vintage table mat

party_music50February 20, 2011

I *finally* got around to weaving a vintage-style table mat. It took a LONG time to weave, but I *really* like the end result! It's 15" wide:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marylee_2010

party music - That table mat is wonderful. It is absolutely perfect. Where did you learn to weave? Is it hard to make something like this? Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 8:24AM
nana2010_gw

All I can say is WOW! wonderful job.
NanaK

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 8:37AM
oldalgebra

Oh, PM. It's gorgeous. Really. I mean, "REALLY!" You're an artist.

Now, get to work, you have at least 7 more to do!

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 11:09AM
Marlene Kindred

Turned out really great! It will look great on your table I'm sure!

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 9:05PM
slinkey

Beautiful work PM...
I love the pattern with the large loops on the ends.
You are a very creative artist.
ARe you taking orders??? lol

jane

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 9:31PM
christmascandy

What intricate work! It is beautiful and what a great feeling to know you created it.
I assume you will be making more?

TFS,
Candy

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 10:14PM
jeannespines

I posted this morning, party...but must not have hit "submit"...ugh!

I said, WOW, also! And now you can't really "cover it up" w/anything, can you...I mean, like a plate or charger...NO WAY! Is it for a centerpc? It's just BEAUTIFUL...I can't even imagine (with my fingers) the intricate work involved! You've been very, very busy! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 10:27PM
party_music50

Thanks, everyone!!! Jeanne is right -- it's meant to be for the center of my dining room table. :) There is NO WAY I'll be weaving another seven of these. LOL!!!! my fingers and neck/back wouldn't like that one bit.

marylee, to answer your questions: I taught myself to weave from experimentation, books, and info I found on the internet. I've been weaving since 1999 and teaching basket weaving since 2006. When I designed and began weaving this mat I had it in mind to offer as a class, but I would definitely NOT teach this mat to beginning weavers... I think it would be much too difficult and frustrating for a beginner... especially since it took me a such a long time to make!!! In weaving parlance, I would rate this mat as appropriate for someone with intermediate/advanced twining experience.

And, Jane, I do sometimes take orders. lol! I've done a lot of custom-weaving for people -- but I only sell my baskets to make money for my niece's memorial scholarship fund!

I'll try to get/post a photo with the mat in place. :) It actually looks better on my 'french country' style table than I expected! I decided not to dye it because it will naturally darken to a beautiful golden/tan color with age.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 8:45AM
phonegirl

PM, what a big beautiful vintage-style table mat. This pattern is so pretty. I will be looking forward to seeing it on your table as the cp. To bad they are so hard to make. They would be wonderful set to show off all around your table. I didn't know they darken with time but glad you shared this tip with us.

Punk

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 8:06PM
sunnyca_gw

Lovely & hard on the fingers I'm sure, I've only tried to repair old ones woven in mass production in foreign countries, not hand made & they are hard to keep in place while I'm trying to weave it back or use matching color twine or wire to get it in place so I can use it. So nice when done but have an idea the piece you are working with doesn't always want to go where you want it to, it was living material & has mind of its own I think, only saw someone weave one once, knew it would be too much for me. Will make a wonderful cp mat. Jan

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 8:50PM
Purplemoon

That is wonderful. I'd use it for a centerpiece! But a small one that wouldn't cover it up, LOL. To pretty to not see.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 11:06PM
excessfroufrou

Totally amazing, you are sooooo talented. I'm not usually a basket person, but your creations always blow me away. Be sure and show us a pic with it on the table.
Frou

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 7:18AM
party_music50

Thanks for the nice comments! :)

Punk, reed will darken with age if it has not been treated with anything. OTOH, *dyed* reed will typically lighten with age.

Here it is (I don't know why the pic is so large!):

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 8:27PM
jeannespines

Beautiful, party! & with the pretty glassware & red fruit! Draws my eye right to it! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 1:01AM
phonegirl

PM, your mat looks beautiful on your table. Thanks for sharing this photo with us. I've had my pictures show up larger even tho I resized. Just thought I had copied before it was done.LOL

Punk

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 8:52AM
lynnencfan

Very pretty party - it has a very lacy quality about it while still being earthy - you did a great job. I tried weaving many many years ago and never could get the hang of it. I do remember it being very hard on the hands esp fingers pushing each round down. It looks beautiful on your dark table .....

Lynne

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 9:54AM
luvstocraft

So very pretty on your table, reminds me of a lace doily. You did a beautiful job on it. Luvs

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 6:27PM
party_music50

Thank you all. :) I know I'm not much of a decorator and I'm a sucker for realistic-looking fruit. The real thing never looks as perfect and always gets eaten too fast. lol!

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
test 2
Caroline's table
nana2010_gw
My Christmas
Getting simpler each year!
yachter123
Not finding any inexpensive beanie baby duckies and . . .
I expect the nearer to Easter it gets, the higher the...
oldalgebra
test
A test link to a photo
nana2010_gw
Five Easy Vignette Tips
Link Here is a link that might be useful: Tips
yachter123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™