Undermounting a bathtub for alcove installation.

palimpsestMarch 13, 2013

I am brainstorming regarding a very small bathroom renovation. There are two baths and it makes sense, lifestyle-wise, to put a larger shower in the slightly larger bathroom and put a small bathtub in the the very small bathroom.

So I am looking at 48" and 54" tubs. In this housing segment that would not be a strong negative.

Kohler makes the 48" acrylic "Greek" tub, which is a deep soaking tub, and the 54" cast-iron "Seaforth" tub.

The other choices are enameled steel through American Standard and Bootz. (I wish Kohler still made their 48" tub). I would like to stay away from a steel tub.

I would really like a 48" tub because of the shorter size, but the Greek tub is a drop in, and it would be an alcove installation. It would have a shower or it would never be used.

I was thinking that, if a customized deck was fabricated out of Corian, a cove (almost like a short backsplash) could be placed around the perimeter eliminating a lower corner seam in its entirety and a flange could be placed for tiling.

I think this could get expensive but could be worth it. Has anybody done a deck of this sort?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elphaba_gw

I'm planning for a Greek tub though like you haven't quite got the rim figured out for our alcove. My contractor is confident when he explains how he will use kerdi, a waterproofing material around the rim but I'm not quite understanding him. I will be talking to him tomorrow and if I get a better understanding, I will let you know. In the mean time, please post anything you decide - I am really feeling a bit uncertain.

Just figured out today that the tub spout needs to be 9 inches for wall mount - I want Hansgrohe for the "themostatic" option. Seems plenty of 6 inch spouts but only one 9 inch that I have found so far. I'm trying to get a confirmation with my plumbing guy now. But wanted to let you know that you should be careful that your tub spout won't be too short.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™