2002 Ford explorer XLS brake lights won't go out

sharon620September 10, 2005

Hello everyone!

My husbands for explorer's brake lights won't go out. One will go out in the park postition if you turn the blinker on. But the other one and the top light will stay on.

It is saturday night and we will not be able to find a mechanic until Monday. I am afraid it is going to die with these lights on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for everything!

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cowboyind

It sounds like the brake light switch may be stuck. On some vehicles you can find the switch down near the brake pedal. Often it is depressed when the brake pedal is not applied, and then it releases when the brake is applied. But if you can't find the switch, pull out the fuse for the brake lights to turn the lights off. You're right, it will not take long for the lights to run the battery down. If they stay on overnight, the battery will be run down by morning.

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 11:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noelmarchestra

Explorer owners, Good day! First of all i would like to state my apology in putting up this thread. Just badly need help with the brake lights of my car and i hope you understand. Feel free to remove this one in case you think this is an inappropriate post. So, I recently bought a used 2000 Explorer XLS and the one brake light was not working and the other one was intermittently working. I replaced both brake lamps and still had the same problem.I replaced
both brake lamps and still had the same problem. Upon close inspection of the lamp sockets, I discovered that theyboth showed signs of overheating. I replaced both brake lamp sockets with an aftermarket product called Conduct-Tite lampsocket found off the shelf the shop here in our place. The part number is 84764. This part number
is for Ford trucks from 1997 and newer. The part is American made by Motormite, Division of R&B, Inc., Colmar, PA 18915. The price was $7.95 for each socket. This fixed my problem. The counter man also recommended that I use a heat transfer silicon type salve smeared on the base of the replacement brake lamps, which I bought.

Related post: Ford Repair

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Consumer reports
I can't find a Consumer Reports Used car buying guide....
evaf555
Car suddenly accelerats
This morning my wife was driving our 2013 Chrysler...
Dana015
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™