Metal Roofing

MichelleDTFebruary 24, 2012

Is a basic standing seam metal roof really less expensive (considerably less) than concrete tile roofing?

I am getting conflicting information. Half say yes, half say no. We are in the design phase and I would prefer a metal roof to go with the overall design of the home which is contemporary.

Thanks experts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
martinkk333

It was in our case on the house we build in 2004. Also, we loved the metal roof. It wasn't noisy, reflected heat and our energy bills were amazing. We are building again (as soon as we get the plan together)and disappointed the subdivision will not allow metal roofs.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 1:06PM
sierraeast

Get real world estimates, multiple, from reputable roofing contractors in your area. If you are d.i.y., get estimates from suppliers. In most cases standing seam will be less dependent on how cut up your roof is, but you would be wise to go a little heavier gauge on the metal if you go that route. A little more expense but more stable if you are in windy , hail, heavy rainfall area. Obviously you aren't in a freezing climate area considering concrete tile.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 1:36PM
MichelleDT

Thanks...yes, we need estimates...we are in design and I love the look of the metal roof. Should go to bid in two weeks so we will see. Just wondered if not was the time to reconsider roofing.

M

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:12PM
mayberry_moon

Just FYI, if you are in an area that gets heavy snow fall, snow sliding off our metal roof took out our wood stove chimney twice before we rerouted it through the side of the house. But we're high in the Sierras - major snow.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Please review my plans - help needed with bedroom arrangement
Hi folks! This is the second time I have posted our...
Momto3kiddos
House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour
Hi all! I thought I would post some pics while the...
Momto3kiddos
Should I add a window in the dining room?
We are going to have a long narrow dining room, husband...
Bridget Howe
It's February 2015- How is your build going?
January was a surprisingly active month! I admire all...
mushcreek
Structured pre-wiring
Intention is to bring in Control 4 dealer to install...
Hart Sensory Designs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™