Best tub size for master bath?

minneapolisiteMarch 26, 2012

Do you prefer large soaker baths, or a more standard sized bath? Trying to decide how to lay out the master bathroom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

If you like to take a bath, the larger tubs are preferable. If you prefer showers, then a regular size tub would probably be ok. If you're building a larger home with a large master bath in an area that typically has the large soaker tubs and a separate shower, then for resale purposes, I would duplicate that setup.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:32AM
pricklypearcactus

I prefer a large soaker tub, as does my 6'3" significant other. He simply cannot fit in a standard 5' tub. However, if I had to choose between a soaker tub and a comfortable sized shower, I'd go with a shower and probably nix the tub entirely. One other consideration is whether your water heater can handle a large tub. We have an older water heater and our newish soaker tub drains it.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:10AM
cat_mom

We love our Toto 5' tubs (cast iron, model 1525) though it definitely would be nice to have longer tubs. We were limited by room size(s) so stuck with the standard length. Most of the time we use the tubs solely for showering, but occasionally enjoy a nice soak, so we like having the flexibility a tub affords us. If we could have fit longer tubs, we probably would have gotten them, but it certainly isn't/wasn't a deal breaker in our case.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:29AM
aa62579

When we did my parent's bathroom up, we knew that a normal sized tub would not get used and would probably just be there to have one available. (I tried to get them to go with a walk-in tub, but they didn't want to spend that much.) Ended up going with a soaker model (Kohler Mariposa) and went with the 5'5" model.

Their shower is still plenty big for their needs - the bottom pan where you stand is 3' x 4' and then there is a large bench for sitting, shaving, and setting down bath products (I think it is around 15" deep.) Budget was a real concern, so no need for anything larger.

Since the bath will mainly be used for times they want to soak or relax, it just made more sense to choose this shape and go with one a few inches longer for comfort.

All other tubs in the house are the standard 5' size and shower/tub combo units.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Master bath remodel - faucet help
I'm trying to decide between a few faucets for my sinks...
melissapta
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™