coolant leak

brie901September 22, 2010

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer with a coolant leak. It's steadily dripping from the bottom of my truck even with the engine off. Can anyone tell me what is leaking or how exactly I find the leak?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Look.

While you are there, also examine the bottom side of the water pump housing. It has a weep hole. wWen the pump seal leaks, the fluid escapes out the weep hole.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:13PM
gary__

Sure, I have a Snap-on cooling system tester. Come on over and we'll find it.

Like jemdandy said, look.

Water pump, hoses and clamps, freeze plugs, radiator, thermostat housing, etc. If it drips just sitting there, you don't even need my tester. Look where it's dripping, and follow the trail up to it's point of origin. If it's dripping up front, the water pump is a good place to start as jemdandy suggested.

Good luck.

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 1:45PM
goren

Do they still sell that , I don't know what they call it, it is poured into the radiator, it has hidden particles in it that goes to the leak and stops it. They probably call it 'stop leak'. How about that.
Not to suggest a leak shouldn't be looked at...I too believe the water pump is the most logical place to start...but back when, radiators were always losing some coolant and the easiest way to stop it was with the ...you know!

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 1:17PM
gary__

It's called alumaseal and they still sell it. It works ok for very minor leaks through gaskets and seams. Doesn't have a chance of doing anything for a larger leak or one originating from the shaft or weep hole in the water pump.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 1:55PM
earthygal52

I bought some stuff called "Blue Devil". It seals every kind of leak where coolent is concerned. It is kind of expensive, but it does work. Just follow the directions to the tee. Remember also, to remove the thermostat, before you use this.
I used it on my 92 Chevy Lumina which has 245,000 on it, and it worked great.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
2006 vw beetle
I have 2006 beetle and almost have it paid for. I am...
rabbit8
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation
I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether...
maryann0625
1992 Chevy Truck 1500 running BAD!
About 2 1/2 years ago my truck was running bad, had...
arkansas_girl
rotor problems
I think I just got "taken for a ride" by...
jill1273
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™