Experience with dark, solid quartz for counter? X-post in kitchen

adel97March 23, 2012

I was all set to order and schedule templating for my vanity counters: Cambria Fieldstone, a dark gray engineered quartz. I have Caesarstone Blizzard (white) in my kitchen and I love it. Unfortunately, I was with DH and the sales person said: "you do know that DARK quartz scratches very easily, right?". Now DH wants to reassess this choice. We are going to go to the stone yard this weekend to see if any dark, solid, modern looking granite slabs exist and speak to us, but I'm not a fan of mixing stones, and my BS will have a marble/glass mosaic.

I had never heard that dark quartz "scratches" easily. I'm not sure I believe this. My kitchen counters are bulletproof, though I don't cut directly on them. Here, it's a bathroom and there will be no knives near it anyway, as there might be in a kitchen. Anyone out there with real life experience with dark, solid, Cambria quartz counters in particular?

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scoutcat

I have a dark silestone on my vanity. It does not scratch, and it looks great. Be aware, though, that the dark color will show water spots and toothpaste marks more than a lighter color. I just wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 8:53AM
adel97

Thanks scoutcat, I have no problem with stuff I can wipe off. Good to know you've had no scratching. My white quartz can stain if wine or berry juice sits on it too long, but even those stains are easily taken care of with Soft Scrub with bleach. D you use bleach based cleaner on your Silestone?

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 9:33AM
scoutcat

I've never had to, but it's pretty new. I just use an all purpose cleaner. No wine drinking in the bathroom - yet.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 1:16PM
Bobby99

I have Caesarstone quartz countertops in Raven, which is a very dark gray, and I find it indestructible. I can't imagine why dark would scratch more than light??

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:11PM
adel97

Bobby, the saleslady told me that the manufacturer keeps the dark slabs separate, rather than stacking them on top of each other, because they tend to show scratches more. This really makes no sense to me, and I don't plan to drag quartz surfaces across each other anyway once this is installed. From the feedback on here and on the kitchen forum, it seems everyone loves their dark quartz. I decided to go with the dark quartz regardless of this concern and my slab of Cambria Fieldstone is on its way to the fabricator as I type!

Good to hear of your experience with the CS Raven. It's very close to the Cambria Fieldsone in color.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™