how to clean porcelain drip pan spill over on gas range???

datura-07March 1, 2010

My son was cooking up his "beer" last night (Wolf 30 inch gas range) and it boiled over. He moved the pot to the other side and took everything apart and cleaned up when they cooled. BUT it all won't come off the porcelain drip pan (right under the burner).

Any suggestions?? thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
datura-07

Forgot: I did get some of it off with baking soda (my new "best cleaner") but it is really hard work - I needed a break.

I did a search with no luck but I read on another post that there is a spray that will dissolve spills.

Anyone remember what it is?

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 11:13AM
weissman

Try cold Easy Off on it.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 11:24AM
mojavean

I'd try easy off, too. And tell your son to go buy a turkey fryer. The burner and stand operate off an LP tank and can be used outside. They work fine for typical 5 gallon batches of homebrew and if you get a boilover you can just hose off the mess. Plus, the big burners on turkey fryers will get the pot boiling faster than any stove.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 11:57AM
datura-07

I haven't purchased oven cleaners for years - with the self clean ovens. I didn't kow there was a "cold Easy Off" I'll try it.

The turkey fryer is a great idea. thanks

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 12:22PM
mojavean

It's not Cold Easy Off, it's just plain Easy Off. What Weissman means is just spay it on cold and let it sit for awhile. It will loosen baked-on spills. Try not to breathe the fumes if you can, the stuff is just lye in an aerosol can.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 1:39PM
weissman

No, that's not what Weissman meant :-). They make a version of Easy Off - called Fume-Free Cold Oven Cleaner. I believe it's somewhat less toxic than regular Easy Off which can also be used cold, as mojavean said.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 2:04PM
mojavean

Sorry, Weissman, and datura. My bad. I looked for "cold easy off" just to be sure that there was no such thing and there isn't. I saw that there was "fume free" but didn't know that that was "cold". Sorry for the confusion.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 2:16PM
faith2009

I have the Viking which is porcelain top and have been unable to also clean well. It is baked on. Mine is from frying chicken and the grease splatter. I will try the easy off. You are sure this will not hurt the porcelain finish?
A lot of the new stoves have the porcelain finish but is not as easy as I thought it would be to clean. When I called Viking they said use the BLUE scotchbrite. I have to go down and buy one. I will also get the cold easy off.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 4:07PM
datura-07

No problem, I'm just very happy that you replied to my post. I learn something new here almost everyday. You did put a smile on my face. I loved the "what Weissman means is ---" and "no, that's not what Weissman meant ----"

I had some easy off downstairs and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

I sprayed it outside and put plastic wrap over it.

The stove looks great again. Thanks for the help!!!!!

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 4:47PM
cat_mom

You can also try Dawn Power Dissolver (a spray on gel). Let it sit for ~ 15 min and then scrub/wipe w/ blue scrub sponge. FYI, don't get it or the Easy-Off on HW floors--they eat through the poly.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 7:51PM
datura-07

Dawn Power Dissolver - that's the one I couldn't remember. thanks cat mom.

faith, you'll have to let us know how your stove comes out

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 8:02PM
faith2009

I could not find the Dawn Power Dissolver at the grocery store. Not sure where you would get it. I tried the Easy off and it worked. Unfortunatly it looks like the splatter onto my cooktop pitted it. I am not sure if Viking has a poor porcelain finish or all porcelain is that non durable. It seems odd that they would put on a cook top if it cannot take splattered oil. Did you notice any spots on your wolf porcelain finish? Mine also scratchs easy. I spoke with Pacific Sales and she said all rangetops will look like that if you cook on it. I just thought I could keep it new looking for longetr then 3 weeks. I can't imagine what it will look like in 3 months. I would be curious to how the finish on your wolf is holding up. If I knew how I would post the pictures.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 8:00PM
datura-07

I'm going in tomorrow to look for it, faith. I'm sorry to hear about your finish. That's frustrating. No pitting on ours. It's my son's apartment off the house so he's the only one using it. But there are some scratches. Those grates are so heavy, that it is hard to position them over the holes. That's what the scratches are from.

If I were you, I'd go above Pacific Sales and give Viking a call. That really shouldn't happen in three months. I know Wolf is really good in their customer service department. I know someone that works there and he says that if the customer is nice and not demanding, they will do whatever they can to help.

Why don't you do a post about the pitting on Vikings and maybe you can get info from other Viking owners.

I just redid my island. I put in Wolf's 15 inch modules, one induction, a steamer and a multipurpose gas. I like my gas much more than my son's because it is a closed unit. It's stainless and so easy to clean.

Don't put it off, call asap. and keep me posted.
Good luck.

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 9:40PM
joan2121

I am interested in your wolf 15 inch module. I would love to have a gas and induction. is it all one unit?

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
New KitchenAid launch in April 2015
Hi, everyone. Sorry if this has already been discussed....
kiwigem
Anyone with a double oven range wish they had gone with wall ovens?
My DH thought we'd get a double oven range, but I like...
happyallison
Regret buying Kitchenaid double ovens...should I go with Bosch?
Newbie here...we are planning a remodel and I ordered...
lavalocks19
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
Need help picking out the right appliances
Hi Im trying to decide on a slide in electric double...
Julie Hall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™