Faux fireplaces vs. real

bmh4796February 21, 2013

We currently have a gas, fake logs fireplace. I don't know the proper term for them. I prefer the look of a real fireplace.

Is there a big cost difference between these "faux" fireplaces and real fireplaces when building? I imagine a real one is much more due to the chimney.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Oh yes. BIG cost difference. BIG. You can either have wood flooring or burn it in a chimney. Even then, you might not make up the price difference.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 1:36PM
dbrad_gw

A masonry FP and chimney can set you back big money - as in 5 figures and up. These days though, there are several manufacturers of prebuilt FPs and they are really nice products. Once installed you'll not be able to tell the difference.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 1:37PM
Annie Deighnaugh

$ isn't the only difference. There's a lot more work to a real wood fire and a lot more mess. Plus a lot less energy efficiency.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:40PM
renovator8

A wood-buring fireplace can be all masonry or it can be a factory built metal one; both are "real"fireplaces but made of different materials. If you put the factory built one on an interior wall it is difficult to distinguish from a masonry fireplace assuming the designer knows how to design the hearth.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
getting close to our move in day
Moving in about two weeks, got a lot of things to do...
joerallen
Front Entry door
I am totally out of my comfort zone on the one! We...
3ilovepie
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™