large subway tiles in a shower

christy203March 17, 2011

Does anyone know how large subways in the shower look? Our master has a pretty big shower and our tile lady is recommending 6x9 subway tiles instead of 3x6... we are going a light blue and white subway with a mosaic design. She thinks the 3x6 will be too busy, the shower is about 5x5, if you know can you let me know since we need to make a decision really soon? or does anyone knwo where i can find pictures?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woody_2010

I used 4 x 12 white subway tiles in my 5 x 8 bathroom, including the walls of the tub/shower combo, and I love the way it looks. I also used 4 x 12 subways in my kitchen, 15 years ago, so I knew I liked the look. Of course it would be different inside an enclosed shower, but you would still have the advantage of less grout and more nice white blocks of ceramic. In a small shower you might have to cut too many tiles to go around the corners, but since your shower is close to the size of my whole bathroom, that would obviously not be a problem.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 9:27AM
alku05

We're using 4x12 subways too. Do a search for catmom's pictures to see an example of that size of tile.

We originally picked a 8x20 subway that we really loved, but the only trim offered to go with that tile (expensive long qtr round) would have bankrupted us.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 7:53PM
cat_mom

We used ~4x12's in two bathrooms (same tile, had it installed vertically in one, horizontally in the other), and 8x20's in the third bathroom (had White Thassos marble tile cut down to use for trim rather than the bullnose tile that went with it). The shower in the first bathroom is only 3'x4'.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 9:29PM
SonicAgamemnon

We decided to set large 10x16 subway tile in a vertical pattern to create an illusion of height. Our steam shower ceiling slopes down, so we decided the vertical arrangement will help compensate for the low ceiling height on the North wall. Our designer suggested large tiles instead of several smaller options; she warned the overall layout would appear very busy and out of proportion if we used small subway tiles in our larger space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master bathroom renovation underway...

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 8:35AM
DoggieMom

I think it will look great. It better! I'm using 6x12 tiles in a subway pattern in my shower as in this first shot, the second and third shots are pics of showers with large subway tiles from houzz.com:

contemporary bathroom design by dc metro kitchen and bath Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.

contemporary bathroom design by vancouver interior designer Claudia Leccacorvi

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 4:17PM
antss

6x9's a horrible in a running bond pattern (brick work). Their length is not proportionate to their height.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 6:35PM
na_praha

We used 6x12's in a running bond. While I disagree with antss that 6x9's will be horrible, you might want to play around with a few tile samples to see which configuration you like best.

Here is a link that might be useful: more large-format subway tile pics here

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Why Can't I Find One I Like at All!
The countdown is on. We start the master remodel in...
Monrovia Mom
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™