Engine runs but switches off when put to drive

kemkemSeptember 4, 2006

My car is a Honda 1991 model, automatic transmission. Recently i changed the rings in the engine because the car was producing a lot of smoke from the exhaust. it was okay for a while. last monday as i was ready to go to work, i started the engine, it picked up but as i put it to gear, it engaged for a sec but the engine went off, the same happened when u put it to reverse, the engine runs only in park and neutral.

My mechanic has been battling with it since then but can't seem to discover the problem.

can anyone pls help me out.

thanks

kem

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

Check for a broken, missing, or unconnected ground strap between the engine/transmission to frame/body. The ignition circuit is being completed through the neutral/park switch on the shifter. This switch opens when the shifter lever is moved to any gear including reverse. Without the ground strap, the neutral switch and lead may be overloaded and may smoke.

If you find an open ground strap, repair, then check the neutral switch and lead. Replace if damaged.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 5:06PM
kemkem

jemdandy i don''t know much about cars but my mechanic said he's checked the groundstrap and it's ok. what he says now is that the cylinder needs to be changed. my concern is that i don't want the engine to be tampered with and he isn't even sure if he cylinder is the problem do you think that can be the problem?

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 4:56AM
jemdandy

What cylinder is he talking about? Is it the solenoid on the starter motor? If so, he may be correct.

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 1:44AM
jemdandy

Something is shutting off the ignition when the shifter is moved. Does your car have any kind of electrical interlock between the ignition switch and the shifter mechanism? There is a mechanical interlock that prevents the shifter from moving from park when the key is removed.

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 5:08AM
kemkem

i'm very frustated because no one seems to know what is wrong with my car.i've changed mechanic twice now and still no solution. Jemjandy the new guy says it is the solenoid besides the gear box that is faulty. what's a solenoid anyway?

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 6:58AM
kemkem

said i should tell the board i've finally found solution to my car's problem. it was the brainbox that needed replacement. thanks a lot jemjandy

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 12:04PM
duanejack

Do you feel the car try to move before it dies, do you think the transmission is engaging and then the car dies. The torque convertor may be locked up killing the motor, what I do is have a couple of helpers push the car, I start it in Neutral, push the car, pop it in drive and off the car goes, use the brakes, stop, car dies, hopefully I stopped on top of a hill.

As was mentioned, run a redundant ground wirefromthe battery negative to the inner fender at some bolt to ground the body and many other items not grounded by the engine tranny combo. A car may start but I have had many a strange things happen by broken bonding wires or blown main fuses and YES, even a locked up torque convertor.

Bookmark   November 4, 2006 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
pump keeps stopping when trying to fill gas tank
Hi! Can someone give me a clue what might be suddenly...
twinklenose
Brake fluid flush
I've had new brakes installed in the past. However,...
africanboy
Problem with remote starter
I had a remote starter (AS-1780) installed on my 2014...
coryL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™