Cooking on a electric stove

ryseryse_2004March 20, 2014

I love to cook and also can produce every year so the stove is very important to me. Many of the houses we are looking at have only electric available and I am concerned about this.

My only experience with electric stoves is 30 years old and back then it was very difficult to pressure can on one. I worry about the fact that there is no instant on/off and variations. Do the new stoves perform better?

Also, if there is an electric outage, with a gas stove, you can always cook.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saeyedoc

Get induction, as good or better than gas, much better than other electric cooktops.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 1:40PM
stevep2005

Does the area have natural gas available? Unless it does or you want to consider using propane for cooking, induction is the way to go. Bringing natural gas the distance to our under-construction house eight years ago would have been a budget buster. We opted for propane for cooking and heating because I would have sold the house before using an electric cook top. Induction was still pretty untested in the US back then but I would definitely use it today if gas were not available.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 3:15PM
rococogurl

We have electric cooking only in our house and I bought a radiant electric cooktop. The best I can say is that it's better than a coil electric. It does annoying things like cycle on and off and it isn't super responsive. I cook a lot and I've learned to work with it. Plus it's 10 and it was my only alternative at that time.

If I was still in the same position today, I'd go with induction. It offers the speed and power of gas and the responsiveness but works the way electric does. There's a learning curve since it's not conventional power but a majority of the reports from those here who have it are positive and enthusiastic.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:08AM
plllog

Try asking in the Harvest forum. I think there are some smaller pressure canners that are steel and will work with induction, but it's not ideal. It doesn't work with the big aluminum one, and you have to be careful about the weight on a ceramic-glass topped stove. Some people have no trouble canning on old fashioned coil electric but few prefer it for all cooking tasks.

I remember someone got a propane turkey fryer base to use outdoors with a pressure canner.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
How much Hood CFM to get for Wolf's 6-Burner Rangetop?
Let's say I use all 6 burners at once sometimes (not...
wcutiew
Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range
How is it to use the grill and griddle? ie ease of...
dzaner
Capital Culinarian oven latch
My wife and I have a nearly new 36" self clean...
fredbarber
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Dishwasher with cutlery tray and heated dry?
I seem to be coming up fairly empty handed with these...
tigger9759
Sponsored Products
Square Stainless Steel Pot Rack
Overstock.com
Satin Nickel Lead Free Instant Hot Water Dispenser and Heating Tank
Overstock.com
Pasta Pot by Alessi
$321.00 | Lumens
Black Splatter Screen
$13.99 | zulily
Ashley Spoon Rest
$9.99 | zulily