Pay out-of-pocket or use insurance for a car accident?

bananaslug91September 24, 2007

I just rear-ended someone on the freeway. It's unclear what her damage costs will be (it looked minimal), but I'm fairly certain that mine will be in the $2000 - $3000 range. I had similar damage done when someone backed into me 3 years ago, and it cost $2300.

The car is a '96 Mazda Protege, 130K mileage, with a Blue Book value of $3900. I think that the insurance company may total it, and even if they don't, I'm not sure it's worth fixing.

The question is: should I use my insurance to pay for all of this or just try to pay out-of-pocket if the person that I hit will let me?

Of course, if I pay out-of-pocket I would forfeit the Blue Book value the insurance company may give me for totaling my car. But it would also mean that I could avoid a potential costly raise in my insurance rates. I've never actually hit anyone, but I've heard that the rates can go up substantially for 3 years after a claim.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom418

Your damage is "2000-3000" and her's is "minimal" ? I'm not so sure about that. I was rear ended years ago (my only accident). At the scene, the driver insisted that the damage was minimal, until I saw the SIDE of the trunk where it was creased from the impact.

Where I was (New York), drivers are required to report the accident, if the damage exceeds a certain monetary value, regardless of who pays for it. So don't expect the accident to remain a secret.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 8:22AM
kalining

So, you pay out of pocket, both vehicals, and later she sues you for pain and suffering. then what ?

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 8:21PM
steve_o

If you think there's at least $6,000 in damage for the two cars, and if there's even a possibility you could be sued, you need to think long and hard about how much this could cost you out of pocket versus a few years of somewhat-higher premiums.

Incidents like this are why you carry insurance. Use it.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 10:50PM
gary__

Turn it in to insurance. That's what it's for.

Actually, if you have full coverage on a $4000 car, and they raise the rates substantially because you totaled it, it's time to look for another company anyway. If it were a $40k car, that would be different. That's assuming you've had few or no claims in the past. IMO, $4000 is close to not worth paying the premium for more than liability and uninsured motorist to start with.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 10:59PM
bananaslug91

Thanks for the input. The person I hit reported it to her insurance company today, so I didn't even have the option of paying out-of-pocket. But from the feedback I received, I think that was the best case scenario. Good point about her potentially suing me later...yikes!

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 1:57AM
More Discussions
Tire Question
I have a 2007 Honda Ridgeline with 13,000 miles (yes,...
momrox4
dump my buick rendezvous?
Do you know the Buick Rendezvous? Mine has been outstanding...
handywidow
Nissan 350Z P1757
My car Nissan 350Z 2007 has an issue. Trouble codes...
254qi
Failing transmission questions
I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always...
catherinet
Cost to replace a 99 Buick head Gasket
My grandson 99 Buick blew a head gasket after the thermostat...
iggie
Sponsored Products
Duchess Circles Rod Pocket 84-inch Panel
Overstock.com
Urn Antique Bronze 28-inch to 48-inch Double Curtain Rod
$44.95 | Bellacor
Crystorama 7522-DT Shelby Wall Sconce - 12.5W in. - Distressed Twilight Multicol
$250.00 | Hayneedle
Koncept Gen 3 Z-Bar Daylight LED Modern Desk Lamp Black
Euro Style Lighting
Cobblestone Rug 7'6" x 9'6" - PURPLE
$899.00 | Horchow
Kraus Solid-Brass Single-Lever Pull-Out Sprayer Kitchen Faucet
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Westinghouse Flush Mounts 1-Light White on Hi-Impact Polypropylene Flush-Mount
$22.77 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™