brushed nickel vs. polished chrome - which easier to keep clean

jeanteachMarch 3, 2010

I am trying to decide which finish to use for a new faucet for my husband's bathroom. The polished chrome looks very sharp and crisp, but the brushed nickel is also very pretty. My concern is that my husband tends to make a mess when he brushes his teeth and I don't know which finish will show more toothpaste, water marks, etc. I'd love some advice from people who have either. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rookie_2010

Hi,
In my experience, brushed nickel shows less fingerprints, water marks, toothpaste than any other finish. I replaced the chrome fixtures in my kids' bath to brushed and it looks so much better!

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 7:47AM
lecuzz

I have also found that brushed nickel finish is easier to keep clean

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 9:26AM
just_julie

Here is a pic of our brushed nickel faucet handle. There are 2 faucets in the bathroom and they both look like this ALL OF THE TIME. Right now, there are 4 people using them and I constantly wipe them down. You would never know it by looking at them!

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 10:18AM
yadax3

Personally, I don't think there's really much difference. We have both and, like the poster above, I seem to notice fingerprints on the nickel more. But the difference is so small it wouldn't be one of my criteria for choosing one over the other.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 10:38AM
sue_b

I have to wipe off my new polished chrome Toto faucet every day to avoid water spots. It has a lot of flat surfaces so avoid flat surfaces and maybe the water will run off.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 12:16PM
busybee3

the brushed nickle i've seen in bathroom stores reminds me of stainless steel appliances...they definitely show fingerprints....i don't know about watermarks tho. i've decided to go with polished nickel, but haven't bought/installed yet.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 12:26PM
monicakm_gw

In my case, I found brushed nickel to be MUCH more forgiving than polished chrome. Same with my Venetian bronze faucet in the kitchen. I would be embarrassed to say how long it's been since the faucet has been cleaned. Cleaned the sink about a week ago but didn't wipe the faucets. I was in a hurry and they looked fine.
Monica

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 2:28PM
buyorsell888

That tile is gorgeous!

Came to this forum today specifically to see if I should choose brushed nickle or chrome for bath renovation. I'm a terrible lazy cleaner.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 4:42PM
jeanteach

Hmmm...I am very grateful for all the responses, but there is no consensus at all! The brushed nickel Toto faucet costs $120 more than the polished chrome...What to do???

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 5:44PM
dedtired

I have brushed nickel in the kitchen and (soon-to-be-replaced)chrome in the bathroom. The chrome is much harder to keep clean and shiny. It shows everything.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 8:20PM
toolbabe

Have you considered polished nickel? Best of both worlds, really.

It has the crisp look of chrome but does not show fingerprints and water marks as much.

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 7:21PM
overmyhead08

Toolbabe, I have a polished nickel faucet (Jado calls the color Platinum), and it shows fingerprints and water marks every bit as much as chrome does.

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 7:59PM
toolbabe

Overmyhead, the ones I have are made by Riobel, and so-far-so-good do not require constant buffing to look good and presentable. The Riobel polished nickel finish is somewhat darker than most, and that might have something to do with its low maintenance.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 6:32PM
linda8818

I think the brushed nickel is harder to keep clean. A quick swipe shines up the polished chrome but you have to really buff the polished nickel to get out the white spots/residue.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 8:48AM
monicakm_gw

Well, after reading this thread, it obviously depends on the manufacturer. My bathroom faucet is the only brushed nickel I have and I rarely see any spots on it. When I do, it's it's nothing that screams "look at me!" :)
Monica

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 8:32PM
jeanteach

I think you're absolutely right, monicakm, it must depend on the manufacturer because, as I said before, there is no consensus. So, the faucet I am thinking about is a Toto (also getting a Toto pedestal sink and toilet). Anyone have Toto faucets in polished chrome or brushed nickel who wants to chime in? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto faucet

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Sponsored Products
OK LIGHTING Lamps 59 in. Silver Star Crystal Floor Lamp OK-5120F
Home Depot
Christopher Knight Home Chrome 1-Light Teardrop-Shaped Crystal Chandelier
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks 317SQ Handheld Shower Head - REMER 317SQ
$27.00 | Hayneedle
Black and White Ego Bar Stool - Chrome Base
Zuri Furniture
Domi Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Titan Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor